Working dogs in the heat - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

We canceled evening training and kept mornings. Luckily, we have some shade around blind six, and we have a nice water hose and baby pool, and club members and a TD that watch the dogs pretty carefully.

I love training, but will not put my dog at risk. So if it is too hot, he stays put, "working dog" or not.
Working K9's may not have that luxury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

My sister lives about 2 blocks from our training field and I took Karlo over there a few weeks back for a cool off in the hose. But then I think his wet coat added to his discomfort, even with a fan on him. I'm glad(in a way) that I didn't train the past couple weekends due to a mission trip I was on. I really went thru withdrawals however missing it.
Then I read on FB that some crazy pulled a knife on the group while they were tracking. Had to call the authorities to get him contained. A baby Rottie was the only dog out at the time and the guy was on an agenda to kill all the pitbulls in the world

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
But then I think his wet coat added to his discomfort, even with a fan on him.
Baby pool works great because only the bottom part gets wet. I, also, think dogs are more uncomfortable when soaked on the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Ahhh, what does someone living in South Texas know about heat, ha ha. I have a drug dog class in session. The heat has been brutal. You really have to keep an eye on the dogs while working.

DFrost
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It is awful here this year. Temperatures over the norm. Just not good.....
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Yeah I am doing a shipping temperature study (measuring temps to which boxes are exposed) for work and my target was Arizona ground shipments but this year, Texas may truly be the worst case. Historically, Arizona is usually hotter than Texas.

This year we had no difficulty when we told the police we really wanted to start an HR search at 6am - by 10 when we were done we were dripping and exhausted. (Battling the kudzu monster as well)

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

St. Martinville police dog dies in the line of duty | The Advertiser | theadvertiser.com

We must be very careful with our k9s in this horrible heat. Sometimes the answer is just no....
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

Rest in Peace K9 Hatos....and it wasn't even noon yet.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Found a neat indoor outdoor thermometer for the truck.
I tend to go through one a year but with dogs riding in the camper unit I always want to know the temperature back there while I am driving.

This one has a few things going for it
IT is cheap ($15) at Wally World
Accurite "with how to dress" character

The main thing is you can set an ALARM for when the outside temperature exceeds a certain value AND you can toggle that alarm on or off. Particularly good since I want my eyes on the road not a thermometer.

The sending unit also has a loop for a string and seems a lot more rugged than the other units I have had. [my outdoor sending units have alway been the source of failure for me)

The how to dress character is a bit of a hoot and I guess common decency will not allow nakid which is how I feel we all need to be dressed THIS summer. I would just as soon have somthing else but I was going for the alarm.
So We will see. Going to give it the test witout the dog first.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page