Say what you want about the AKC but.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Say what you want about the AKC but....

Our team has recieved several thousand dollars from them over the years as have several others through their Companion Animal Recovery Program.

AKC Companion Animal Recovery Awards $340,000 in Grants to K-9 Search and Rescue Teams Nationwide - Yahoo! Canada Finance

IF you ever get a chance to thank them for this please do so. Many many teams really benefit from this big time.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

I think the AKC does a LOT of good and is a decent club for what they are -- an all breed registry. They have all breed shows, specialty shows, performance events and the like. They have the CAR program, the CGC and STAR puppy programs -- all that promote responsible dog ownership. And they also try to stay abreast of and fight bad canine legislation.

They also inspect kennels, arbitrate issues, and fine or suspend people for their behavior at events or having to do with the care of, conditions of dogs, and for descrepancies of the identification of dogs and litters.

I have no complaints about the AKC.

Just because a puppy is AKC does not make that puppy breedworthy, but that is true of EVERY other registry including the SV.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Personally, I don't understand the constant ragging on the AKC. They are a regsitry that maintains paperwork, and for the most part do a very good job of what they are designed to do. Every now and then they do something I consider to be a boneheaded move, but by and large they are a good organization that DOES do a lot of good for dogs through their programs, legislative alerts and lobbying, charity work, etc...

If people want to complain about lack of breeding regulations, health testing, yada yada... then they need to go after the breed clubs themselves. They are the ones that make the rules that govern the breeds. AKC just processes the papers, and makes no claims about those papers indicating quality only purebred status.

But then I think most people aren't aware of the difference and that they should send their complaints and requests to GSDCA, or whatever breed club governs that particular breed, not AKC. AKC doesn't make the rules, they just follow what the breed clubs decide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

I've been competing in AKC events forever and have no complaints about AKC itself. I agree with the others that the issues people say they have with them should really be addressed to the breed clubs.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

A problem I have with them is that every time I call foreign registry,I get a different answer for paperwork. they need to get on the same page
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Nno different than calling the IRS and asking a question.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with what others are posting. The AKC is NOT quality control for breeds, it is the umbrella under which all FCI registries are kept in a database type organization. As an organization they actually promote responsible dog ownership and consistency in many organized dog sports.

The culprits for the "ruination" of breeds are the mother clubs of the breed in the US. Other breeds besides GSDs have been watered down because their breed club evolves into a showring oriented club after gaining AKC recognition. The breeders themselves need to police the practices of breeding for their breeds. The AKC limited registration is a tool that many more should avail themselves of!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

We got some $$ this year too! Not as much as previously, but still a decent amount!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

We put a sign on our trailer thanking them...we have GPS's and a laptop as well as a jon boat, lots of training, and some more radios due to grant money from them.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page