Tommorrow is Mock Search Day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Tommorrow is Mock Search Day

We do these a few times a year to field dog/handler teams getting them ready for the "real" thing.....and always good to just test in general. We normally get about 15 live searches in a year but this helps them work out the kinks and allows us to stick new folks in new roles (such as command).

Someone from another team is setting it up and no one on our team will have a cue other than the location of the command center.

My thing tomorrow will be to work some kinks out of the Astro units. We have the handheld on a radio mast but in rough terrain you still loose the signal so I am going to play with clearing them all before sending them out and uploading data directly from the collar to the handheld [we have 7 collars / 1 handheld]

Then I am going to work with some others to get them better at clearning their GPSs BEFORE they start and entering waypoints on start and finish so I can truncate their tracks before saving for import into Maptech. AND getting them to take their tracks into Mapsource, saving each track as a gpx file THEN putting in Matpech. A little more work on the front end.

Here is one hint. We never save the tracks on the GPS because our garmins strip the time and speed data from the tracklog when you do that. By uploading the active log and then clipping off irrelevant data,you have some more data so that you can associate a time with a given waypoint.

Grim is going to ride shotgun. You just never know if we have a live or dead victim or both.

Did that make any sense. All this and maybe I will get to work my own dog for 20 minutes or so after we wrap up.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

I just found this thread!!!!!

How everything went?

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Went well, the team found the victim in about 4 hours - and there was much learning.

The search was craftily set up so we cound NOT get our command trailer into a good radio postion and found some flaws in the ointment (our radio guru got sent out as the victim)....So.....we are building some backup command capability (back to tailgate command). It was great because we went into the whole thing completely blind (except for the scenario) as we would on a real search.

We usually run a K9 command at our searches which works directly with the actual Incident commander. They usually let us run the show for deploying the dogs while they are running the rest of the mission.

As far as the K9s it was our typical approach. Immediately deploy trailing dogs at the PLS to extablish direction of travel then deploy air scent dogs using information obtained from the trailing crews (or shift resources as more information comes in)

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 04-07-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page