Emt-b - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Emt-b

I just want to say I can't wait until next quarter of school starts when I take EMT-B. What I really can't wait for is the wilderness EMT class I can take after EMT-B is complete. I am considering Wilderness EMT and Intermediate/85 the following quarter... I am not trying to be a Paramedic but would like to get certified as it will be amazing for SAR and will be great for the FBI(My final goal).

Ze'eva Li'ora - GSD 06/26/2010 [SAR/Wilderness Air Scent]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am just now taking the DOT First Rsponder Class (I think it is about 40 hours) and am really enjoying it. Our team, technically, only does search, not rescue, but we sometimes are the "first" responder.........I know how much there is to this compared to basic first aid/CPR, I can only imagine for the other stuff!

Good for you!

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned

I have the American CPR now and can't wait to take the EMTB too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Knighted Member

I was an EMT for many years and even a Cardiac Tech (the precursor to EMT-I and the level below paramedic). I volunteered for roughly 20 years with my local rescue squad, until local politics got too much for me. Good luck, it is very rewarding!!

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM

You know you can take Wilderness EMT classes that combine B and wilderness into one right? That just saves you time and lets your get you I faster.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie01 View Post
You know you can take Wilderness EMT classes that combine B and wilderness into one right? That just saves you time and lets your get you I faster.
I wish if it was offered like that here but it isn't...

Ze'eva Li'ora - GSD 06/26/2010 [SAR/Wilderness Air Scent]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 AM

There is an institute outside of Leavenworth that does it that way but it is live in for about a month and quite pricy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I am not trying to be a Paramedic but would like to get certified as it will be amazing for SAR and will be great for the FBI(My final goal).
Just make sure you are really clear about your goals. When you do something like EMT just for SAR or just "to have it", you may find that you are losing those skills you have learned very quickly when you don't actually use them on a weekly basis by belonging to a squad (volunteer or otherwise). It's called "practicing" medicine for a reason.

I went into EMT-B figuring that it would be "nice to have" but realized pretty quick that there's no point going through the class and getting the certification if it's not being used. It's very easy to forget things if you don't use them. And you really need to have that "field" experience to become proficient, too - part of the reason they don't let you take the final test until you have at least 10 hours actually working in an ambulance (or observing at the ER, although the latter really isn't that useful for an EMT as all you get to do are take vital signs, and taking vitals in a nice, well-lit, quiet ER is a very different thing from taking vitals in a moving ambulance ...).

If you are going to get your EMT-B, also look into the National exam and/or reciprocity laws to other areas to see how the training in your state will transfer when you go elsewhere if it is likely that you will move at some point. EMT certification is largely up to the individual states and differs a lot between different states.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page