Long Lead Length Preference??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Long Lead Length Preference???

Just began training with a local search and rescue group. They all use 20 foot leads which just feels short to me. Dont have the option of training off lead because much of the work is very urban (indianpolis).

what is your lead length preference and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM

i use a 33. I believe its standard and it gives lots of space. I would use no lead if my girl was better with recall...but its a build up....i'm only training as well.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Knighted Member

I just got a 30" lead for Shania. She is completely untrustworthy off leash since our city has been so anti-dog. It's only recently that I've found the 2 metre limit on leash length removed from the by-law and the other being reworded from prohibited from "parks" to "playgrounds." Now we can go play ball at the park and be legal .

For the first 10 years she had always been combined to a 4-6 ft leash off our property and god forbid she touch city grass. In our yard it was a leash or tie out (as long as I could make them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
I just got a 30" lead for Shania. She is completely untrustworthy off leash since our city has been so anti-dog. It's only recently that I've found the 2 metre limit on leash length removed from the by-law and the other being reworded from prohibited from "parks" to "playgrounds." Now we can go play ball at the park and be legal .

For the first 10 years she had always been combined to a 4-6 ft leash off our property and god forbid she touch city grass. In our yard it was a leash or tie out (as long as I could make them).
boy....that's really strict .
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:23 PM
Master Member

I bought 30' and love it! I plan on doing tacking with my pup when the heat subsides, but in the mean time, its long enough but not unmanageable.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Most folks I know use the longer lead but work in the 15-20 foot zone and have the rest trailing to grab to maintain tension going around trees etc.

We *are* talking about working SAR dogs here, no?

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Master Member

Where are you getting your 30ft+ leads?? Thanks!!

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Most folks i know don't buy leads - they just tie a clip to a peice of climbing rope or webbing..........

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes we are talking about SAR. my idea is to have a lead made thats 28 feet with a ring at 15 handle at 20 ring at 24 and handle at the end (28) then if i am in an area where my dog might go over a high edge i can clip the end handle to the 24 foot mark and put it around my shoulder for better grip should she go over the edge. if i am working a smaller area where 28 is not needed i can either use the 20 foot mark or bring the end up and clip it to the 15 foot mark to shorten the lead up. if it doesnt work out then there is already a handle at 20 and i can just cut the rest off and use it as a short lead.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You may want to reconsider all these rings and handles as they can snag in a hearbeat and the rings will rip your hands up under the right circumstances.

You need to be able to feed that line through your hands or choke up on it. They sometimes sell them with a handle on the end as they can also be used as obedience long lines but I would cut that sucker off.

Maybe a knot near the end so you know when you are going to run out. I am not sure what you mean by "edge" since you are in Indiana.

Just google "trailing dog" and select images and you will see what I mean about how the lines are used - typically with a length of it running behind you which is very helpful if you are maneuvering around trees.

Seriously - a 30 foot lenght of static climbing rope or nylon webbing with the clasp secured by a figure 8 and a few strategically placed knots is "all good"

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page