Is anyone involved in.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Is anyone involved in....

any kind of search and rescue type organization? I have been looking into different programs but I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions? I talked to my breeder and he thought that Baron would be a great candidate, our only concern was socializing him enough. I have socialized him quite a bit and have been working with training him. I would love to do something that makes a difference in my area and would really love to be able to do it with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM

I've been wondering the same thing for the NW Oregon/SW Washington region. Where are you located?

Zoey vom Banach 2/2010
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 PM

The search and rescue dogs around here are part of the police department. Are there places where family dogs can be used for search and rescue? I've not heard of any, but that would be a nice way to do something special with your dog. But if your dog is well socialized, maybe try getting him certified as a therapy dog so you can make a difference in another way, like visiting a hospital or a school.

~ Jen

'Shya' Xaera vom Nordosten Haus, GSD (b. Jan 2010)
'Behr' (2000-2009), GSD, always in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm in PA. I have found two organizations that are volunteers and not part of law enforcement. The are nation wide so may be in your area also. This is one of them, I don't remember the other site at the moment.

SAR Dog Fact Sheet

I didn't want to do visiting work because I want something more active and engaging for the dog...and I work in a hospital and rather not spend more time in one. lol.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM

I'm involved in a SAR organization based in the Portland Oregon area called Search One K9. Most states have volunteer K9 SAR organizations. It is quite a time commitment, but for me well worth it. I currently have an airscent dog and will be training a tracking/trailing dog soon. Here's the website for our local organization.

Search ONE K9 Detection, Inc Home Page
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynterCote View Post
The search and rescue dogs around here are part of the police department. Are there places where family dogs can be used for search and rescue? I've not heard of any, but that would be a nice way to do something special with your dog.
Yes there are quite a few organizations for civilians and their dogs who do search and rescue, including FEMA which uses volunteer dogs and handlers for SAR. Of course the dog/handler teams go through training, preparation and certification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Wow! I found one that's actually based out of my neighboring town. I'll have to go to a meeting just out of curiosity. I don't think I've got enough handling experience to join just yet, but if the organization is really supportive, then maybe my dog and I can learn.

~ Jen

'Shya' Xaera vom Nordosten Haus, GSD (b. Jan 2010)
'Behr' (2000-2009), GSD, always in my heart.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Elite Member

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoBlue View Post
I actually looked into them also. Just a little too far. I wouldn't mind an hour or two drive but that would be almost 4 hours one way.

I still need to work with Baron so I am not looking to immediately join but would like to be prepared and know what is expected.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM

SAR is expensive and time consuming. There are also ALOT of certifications to go through. This page for our local SAR group outlines the trainings and necessary requirements to be a member of the team.

Public: Join The Team

And while this is not directed at you...I have seen too many people who think that if Fluffy can go find his toy in the house than he has the makings of a SAR dog. Also too many people who train and train and are itching to get their dog out in the field to "Show what it can do", but do at the expense of People's lives! There are people who bring cadaver dogs to live searches and vice-verse because they want to be part of the action. SAR is not just a fun activity to do with your dog. It can be dangerous and is a true working endeavor. Dogs can and do die doing SAR and you have to be willing to lay your pet's life on the line for the life of another human being.

This article from the AVMA outlines some of the medical considerations needed for SAR dogs.
http://www.avma.org/avmacollections/..._225_6_854.pdf

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page