Chesapeake Bay Retriever - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Chesapeake Bay Retriever

A friend of my team is fostering a pair of CBR, the dogs belonged to a breeder and the female is actually pregnant. He is interested on keeping one of the future pups to do SAR, but has read contradictory things about them.

I know they are not very popular and there are few of them, but do anyone has experience with this breed? What could you tell me about them?

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Chesapeake Bay Retriever

The one female I knew was pushy, dominant, VERY confident, hardheaded, intense, and fun. Marked with her urine though not by lifting her leg- she squatted and walked herself around to spread the joy. I have heard that they are independent and this one was very much her own dog.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I have only ever had experience with one and she left an indelible mark on me. If I were to ever own a sporting/hunting breed it would be a Chessie! They have the look of Labs but seem to have a more Shepherd like temperament. Intelligent, aloof and not for the inexperienced or unfair handler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Elite Member

I have never owned one, but I know some of them. They are NOT Labradors in a wavy, hard coat! lol...they can be tough as nails, good guard dogs and intense. Highly intelligent, not overly demonstrative and excellent retrievers (obviously!). I have seen Chessies dive to the bottom of a pool for objects to retrieve!

I do not know anything about them being good candidates for SAR, however.
I know I like the breed..

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

The one I had the pleasure of working with was an Explosives Detection Dog.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Knighted Member

I have fostered a few of them over the years and can say that this is a very interesting breed of dog.

This is a very intelligent breed. They think through EVERYTHING. They can, in general, be very, very stubborn. They are driven to work for their person, but a local hunting dog trainer who does board and train swears that Chessies are impossible to put into a board and train situation because they have no desire to work with someone other than their own person.

They bond very closely with the people in their home. Are tolerant of children, but do need to be heavily socialized with lots and lots of different people. They can be territorial and sometimes have a reputation for being unsafe around other animals.

This is an incredibly active breed that is totally tireless. They do best when they have some form of physical and emotional release for their energy, work ethic and intelligence. They LOVE water and swimming.

In general, I wouldn't recommend them for a home with an inexperienced owner. They need someone who understands the whole "firm, but always fair" approach to living with the dog. Fairness is a big thing with a Chessie.

I have loved working with the ones I have fostered. They are relatively popular here, I think because they are known for going into the coldest, roughest water all day long out in the field. They are just fascinating dogs. I wonder how one would do in SAR? I can see where that drive would come in handy, and they totally have the nose and ability. They can be fairly independent, and will ignore a command if they think they know how to do something better.
Sheilah
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM

I have one as a drug dog. I've trained two. Both had an "attitude" and could be aggressive. having only worked two, I can't say it's the breed. I have had more experienced Chessie trainers tell me they do tend to be on the hard headed side. They do tend to have attitudes. The drug dog we currently have working is a great dog and I'd certainly take another one if it were to become available.

dFrost
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:08 AM

I'm a little late on this thread, but ... FWIW I've owned two. They were both intense. They are very stubborn and are a one owner dog. IF you get them around water it's highly unlikely you'll keep them out of it. They just go to water like a duck. They are not good dogs in confined spaces. They need LOTS of exercise. They are very confident and have excellent nerve strength. I'm looking at doing SAR with a CBR or a Mali, they both have intense drive, and stick-to-itiveness. I think the Mali is a little less predictable than a CBR but the Mali is better on rubble and more agile. Still though, the Chessie is not as high maintenance as a Mali, but both can be very dominant. I like the speed of the Mali, but the CBR makes up for it in intelligence. Overall these are excellent dogs. They are the one breed of retriever that has been called both a Guard dog and a watch dog. Because they are slightly aloof with strangers they will intimidate the soft targets. Hope this helps. Make sure to investigate the breed thoroughly before getting a CBR. Some have had DM but it can be checked.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

From the litter the female was pregnant my friend kept a pup that didn't work out, neither said female, but later the male was returned to him and as far as I know, it's being doing really good at SAR. I've not seen it working in person, though.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have only met ONE Chessie. Not enough to generalize. It was not a dog I would have wanted to meet in a dark alley.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page