When is a dog too old.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

When is a dog too old....

I know my subject is just that.....subjective...but i was wondering when is a dog considered to be past his or her prime to begin SAR training. My male GSD is 8 months.

Hammondview's Kaiser 4/23/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: When is a dog too old....

Eight months is a GREAT time to start SAR training. My guys started when they were 8 to 12 weeks of age. Many people purchase a dog that is 6 months to a couple years old to start training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Not at all too old. A great age. Actually keep some things lightweight until his growth plates close. Jumping and running through the woods tooooomuch can be hard on the joints.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, this really encourages me. i was worried that i was starting too late. i've contacted my local SAR group and waiting to hear back.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what i should be doing first? i ordered the book "tracking from the ground up" and was going to start teaching him to track. Good? bad?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You need to be prepared ............ I know my own SAR group is not even letting prospects check out our team until next Fall at the earliest [and that is not all that uncommon].

Most teams are going to have some sort of probationary period to demonstrate you are interested enough in SAR that if the dog is not suitable you will either stay and get a new dog or stay and function in some other capacity. The dog is just a tool, nothing more nothing less.

For the dog, we advise folks to make sure the dog is comfortable around people of all kinds, dog neutral, can handle all kinds of environmental disturbances, has some very basic [not too much] obedience. If woods, it would be good to make sure your dog is real comfortable in the woods, has a solid recall, and won't chase game.

Some of what you do depends on whether you are talking wilderness or disaster SAR as well. I would not start doing any scent training until you talk with the team. Different teams have different approaches to training and there are many ways to succesfully skin a cat.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

I just heard back from my local SAR group. They "already have their dog". A police officer who is also a part of their group has a police trained dog to do the SAR. They're not willing to take on another dog....very unfortunate.

Oh well...i'll train him on my own if they don't want the extra help!!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You may find another group within a few hours.

You really don't want to be "on your own" in this endeavor. Sometimes you have to start with what is local, and if you have the passion to do this you will make it happen but it may not be with this dog. Dedication, patience, and desire........and a willingness to learn.

They may not be willing to take on another dog but now, how about another SAR person? There is an awful lot to learn that has nothing to do with the dogs.

Seriously, some of our best folks did not even have a dog when they joined and did much better at focusing on the prelminary training without the dog...........remember it is not about the dog; it is about locating missing persons.

If nothing else, our team spends several thousand dollars a year for workmens comp and liablity insurance and you do NOT want to be out with your dog without liability. And you have to have a good relationship with the local law enforcement to get the calls anyway.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I agree with Nancy, SAR is not really something you do "just yourself". This is especially true if you have never been involved in training a dog for real work or even sport tracking. Check and see if there are other SAR teams in the area. Some teams do not use dogs some do.

If SAR is not something you can perhaps find a dog training group in the area that trains for tracking. Definitely not the same as SAR but it is something fun to do with your dog.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page