Trailing dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Trailing dogs.

I'm training Umah in SAR, and she is training to be a trailing dog. This is way cool, right, lol. I can't express how cool this is.

My question is, for any of you out there who also have trailing dogs, do you set the pace, or always allow the dogs to?

I have let Umah set the pace on every training search we've gone on. She sprints. I have her on a 30 foot long line, and I can only let it go out so far in heavily forested areas, areas with extreme drop offs, etc. etc. As of now, I sprint when she sprints, I slow when she slows.

This doesn't bother me (in fact, its been a great work out program! ) I'm just curious if others make their dogs go at a more sedate pace instead of breakneck speed!

Libby

Love me, Love my dogs.

Proud companion to:

Gypsy, American Pit Bull Terrier (5yrs) CGC, TT
Mexico, Mixed Breed (4yrs)
Umah, German Shepherd Dog (2yrs) TT, SAR dog-in-training.
Marsha, Mixed Breed (5yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
Re: Trailing dogs.

I can say that with Judge, he sets the pace but like Umah, he sprints. So, I've started telling him to "Slow" and he slows down.

I'm not training him for SAR. I'm doing mainly Schutzhund style tracking but we do, do some "lost people" tracks when tracking with the tracking group. The tug at the end of the track has been a huge motivator for him, good thing and bad thing depending on where we go with training!

Good Luck! Maybe someone training SAR can help you more!

Courtney

Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I don't work a trailing dog [cadaver] but sure hide for a lot of them and flank for some and the best advice I heard was to ALWAYS keep one food on the ground - so you may get a REALLY fast goofy walk but that you should not be running - its a safety thing. But other than that not to slow the dog down too much. Trailing is a very athletic discipline.

Sounds like you need to add some age to your problems. THat will slow things down some. The line is your communicaiton so having a good even line tension is a real good thing. I hope you are working with someone who is good a trailing. Reading negatives and recovering lost trails are biggies as is finding the start [the most missed item on certification tests]

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Crowned Member

Heavily forrested areas,tall grass etc are easy. Lay a track in short/mown grass and watch that dog slow down. You can also age,however,do things in increments. Training dogs on hard turf,concrete etc takes time.:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page