need Ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

need Ideas

I recently took my 3 1/2 mo. GSD to a puppy eval. at my SAR group. They told me she dosnt have enough play or prey drive. I think there crazy because I know she has tons at home. I think the problem is soialazation. She is a little warry of other people and that I trhink keeps her play drive from showing thru with other people.They did the test in a barn with horses and goats and chickens around, very distracting for a pup I have had only 4 weeks. I would love anyones thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Knighted Member

Re: need Ideas

My first thoughts are- you have only had her 4 weeks and this is the first time out and about with horses dogs, folks, chickens etc etc....let he get a bit more acclimated to her surroundings and lets see what a month brings.......... take her twice a week if you can for acclimation and see what that brings about......

She is , BTW ....QUITE adorable!

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

She is very cute. I am also thinking way to young but I could be wrong.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You know she will be what she will be. Was she so distracted she was trying to chase the farm animals or did it overwhelm her and she just didn't do anything?

Regardless, it sounds like lots and lots of socialization, some drive buidling, and exposure to the world should be on her agenda; I would not worry about starting her in SAR as a puppy. Most certs really want a dog to be at least 18 months old and starting with a 1 year old is plenty enough. Rather to me the dog have a good foundation down.

Which team? Just curious.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Master Member

Nancy trying to send you a PM but your box is full

Denise

SG Hannalisese vom Dreieck Sch1 KKL1 CD TR2 (HOT)

Malachai vom Geistwasser BH (HOT)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I just cleaned out my mailbox, sorry.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: I think there crazy because I know she has tons at home. I think the problem is soialazation. She is a little warry of other people and that I trhink keeps her play drive from showing thru with other people.They did the test in a barn with horses and goats and chickens around, very distracting for a pup I have had only
Well, they are probably right. That is how we evaluate a dog. What a dog does at home means nothing. I have seen plenty dogs,all breeds, that will play a game at home in familiar surroundings. We evaluate the TRUE drive of the dog by testing in an unfamiliar environment around distractions. We do that on purpose. A dog with the kind of drive that we need, rocks right on and cares nothing about where they are. If the dog is wary of others, the dog may not have rock solid nerves either. You can certainly keep working with your dog,but understand they are probably reading the dog right. That is the problem with pups and why we in law enforcement and the military buy adults for work. Pups are a real crap shoot for work Drive cannot be built. Drive is genetic. For real work, the dog's drive must be sky high in order to sustain the dog under pressure
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM

I agree with Renee 100%
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. She was more interested in checking out the farm animals then in what they wanted her to do. She went nose to nose with the horses and goats. She wasnt scared of them. I think she thought the horse was a huge dog. Also the PAT only requires it be done somewhere the dog hasnt been before. It even alows it to be done in your home if it is a room the dog hasnt ever been in. Also I disagree about drive it can be developed and improved.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

No, I would have to agree with Renee on drive.

Drive is genetic; you can direct it say from animal chasing to a toy and you can teach a dog that wants to run and kill or possess the toy to learn to bring it back to you, but it is hardwired and I don't believe you can get more out of the dog than what is inside of it no matter how hard you try.

When I suggested some drive building, it was to bring out the expression of what is there, but you can't put it there if it is not there to begin with. Having to be in a certain place or need a special toy can be indications of lower drive.

We were not there though so we don't know what they saw. And this is still a young puppy. Did they do PAT or PAWS? Still puppies are a gamble.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page