need Ideas - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: need Ideas

Also the PAT only requires it be done somewhere the dog hasnt been before. It even alows it to be done in your home if it is a room the dog hasnt ever been in. Also I disagree about drive it can be developed and improved.

You are wrong. IF drive could be built, we in police work and the military would have a heck of a lot easier time finding dogs for the work. Any test done in the home,even in a room the dog has not been in, is flawed. What you do not understand is that the reason we evaluate the dogs the way we do is that work put them under pressure . IF the dog will not exhibit proper drive in a strange environment, the dog does not have the drive to sustain him after working his butt off all day,in the heat, in lousy terrain, around bulldozers etc etc

Renee Utley
Port Authority Police,Sgt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Certifying official all fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:39 PM

I've tested and purchased dogs for law enforcement for more years than I care to remember. I never test the dog in an area he is used to. Always in someplace new. If the dog can't handle a new place, it's summarily rejected. The only drive building that has any effect at all is merely exercising already existing drive. I can teach a dog to retrieve, however that certainly doesn't mean I can use that behavior as the reinforcement for additional training. A dog either has it or it doesn't.

DFrost

Any behavior that is reinforced is more likely to occur again.

DFrost
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

You know this IS a 14 week old puppy. I am not sure how much weight should be put into puppy eval?

I would do all I could with it and evaluate when it is older. Not sure - I know puppies are just such a gamble.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Goodnight nurse, I should read better. 14 weeks???? I wouldn't even waste my time on such a young thing, ha ha. You're right, puppies are a crapshoot.

DFrost

Any behavior that is reinforced is more likely to occur again.

DFrost
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

WEll, duh,me too. I thought it said 14months. Apparently,I cannot read this forum and perform any other function simultaneously. I would not even look at the dog for any kind of work before six month at least. Everything we said was correct with regard to drive,but at 14 weeks, the dog is a baby

Renee Utley
Port Authority Police,Sgt.

Certifying official all fields
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Banned

when my boy was young we visited horses alot
because i knew i would be in the woods a lot
encountering horses. i introduced my pup to lots of animals.
3 or 4 days a week my dog was around other animals.

introduce your dog lots of animals. visit farms, have people visit you with their pets, visit the Vet's office a few days a week. this socializing will pay off for you and your dog.

after your dog has had plenty of socializing take her back to the SAR group for another evaluation. can you take your dog to the same barn a few days a week for socializing?

your dog might not be showing a lot of play and prey drive now
but that doesn't mean that won't change. i think play and drive can be turned on with training.

my dog is very laid back untill i ask something different.
when we play retrieve he just goes and goes. i can hide things
and have him go find them. my GF can hide in the woods and he'll go and find her. in the house and in the yard my dog is
very calm.

work with your dog every day. i worked with my dog in sessions. each session was 5 or 10 minutes. he had 6 to 8 sessions a day.
be consistant in your training and socializing. you have to socialize,
socialize and socialize and train,train, train. stay on schedule and in
a few months things should be different.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response . I have been working with her and can see a small change already.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

just wanted to thank you for your help in my request for ideas. Roz came form a breeder who was confined to a wheel chair and lived alone so she wasnt socialized as well as she should have been. I think she will be fine after she is. Thanks again
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page