Our advanced cadaver seminar -Andy Rebmann et al - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Our advanced cadaver seminar -Andy Rebmann et al

Things have been going really well this week and tomorrow is working on some Civil War era graves.

We learned something very nice with our cadaver work - Grim has been bat out of **** when I gave him the search command, and had a tendency to run over small bones in a search area.

We discussed an applied a technique of making him down until her relaxes a bit before releasing him to work. Instead of an enthusiastic command with my arms moving I simply whisper his command to him. He still takes off like a rocket but is much more focused, and working the search area more slowly and efficiently and not blowing past the small stuff.

I have also been correcting him for peeing while working, which has become a growing problem. I have found that a correction that would make him all submissive acting while just "being a dog" has no negative impact on him while working.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Our advanced cadaver seminar -Andy Rebmann et al

Sounds like you are learning a lot Nancy.

Neko had the same problem with an overenthusiastic beginning to her searches. I found that 5-10 minutes of obedience work prior to working her areas was a great help in getting her settled, I never thought of trying a down to settle her.

I also taught her to "slow down" on command which helps greatly.

I can't wait to hear how the civil war graves works out.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

To help with the first problem, give the dog a chance to run around prior to searching to take the edge off of him. I have to do that with some of my dogs. Also, set up training scenarios that force the dog to slow down and detail. We all have a tendency to set up things that encourage the dog to go out deep. You can also put directionals on your dog as are done with field trial dogs. This can help. Any an search scenario, I send the dog out first to see if he picks up anything immediately,if not, I bring him back and do a more detailed search.
If you are talking about marking, I have the leave it command on all of my dogs and use that for behaviors such as this. All of my dogs have the take a break command which means they are clear to relieve themselves. If the males are sniffing and marking ,they get the leave it command. They understand shortly what that means. I purposely set up training scenarios where other dogs have relieved themselves in order to train the dog to NOT get into the marking behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Would you take some notes on the civil war era graves with regard to how many dogs reacted strongly to the trees etc in the area as opposed to the graves themselves
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, back and very very tired.

It only got to 83 today but 88% humidity and a bright sun.

After one problem [a hide in an 8 foot tall manure pile after working a field of animal bones], I hosed down grim for a good 4 minutes. He must of liked it because he just stood there while I flooded him with cold water from a hose.

Yes, all the dogs were going up the trees. I was amazed at how big a scent pool a small old cemetery could generate. This was our first try. He did hit on one spot [by an old footstone] and "looked at" me and left and kept working, so I took him back to the area and swept my arm and he went to it an alerted. Very new experience for us but now we have an idea how to work them is basically, let the dog have the time to work it out.

Good idea, normally it has not been a huge issue, but I think with all the seminar dogs it was so much. Another team dog and Grim can certainly get into a pissing match so maybe we should let each of them mark an area then set out hides and work them in the other dogs marked area, correcting for marking.

I usually do like to let him get the edge off and get used to the scents in an area but sometimes it seems there really is not that kind of opportunity. The focusing really does seem to be working, though.

Actually he is getting pretty good with directionals and I can pretty much just turn him out and let him work the area on his own and direct him to areas he did not cover well and detail him in areas where he is showing some body language but not pinpointing.

So much more - really picking up a lot and realizing we are actually doing a good job - it is definteily good watching all the other dogs working.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page