looking for SAR prospect - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

looking for SAR prospect

I've had to face the sad reality that my current GSD isn't suitable for what I had hoped for us(SAR). She is the sweetest dog out there and is a wonderful therapy dog. She just doesn't have the mindset for the intense, heavy training we've started. So she'll be spayed & get to be a "house pet" for the rest of her life
So I'm now on the search for another prospect. I'm leaning towards an older pup, but not definate. I guess it depends on what I find out there.
So if anyone has any suggestions for responsible breeders, that breed with SAR type dogs in mind. I'd be greatful for the help. I would like to stay as close to Mi/Wi, if possible. Willing to look further if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Re: looking for SAR prospect

Best advice I got was to get a young adult with hips and elbows x-rayed - WYSIWYG - I could get a clear picture of his drives and temperament and a good dog is not going to be weirded out by the change. As is, my dog acquired that way is more bonded to me than my other dog I got as a puppy. Cost a little more than a puppy but I have been extremely delighted.

I have heard nothing but good things about Eurosport K9, but there are some WL breeders on the board in that area - may have a dog with the right drives but not the true natural aggression they are looking for or otherwise not fit into their breeding program.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

I would think you should be looking at good workingline breeders. Their dogs have the temperament, health, and structure to work. Check out the breeder section and you will find a lot of them in your area.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Northwoods - are you already on a team? Sorry, I don't know but I could not find out with the search functionality.

If not you may want to do that before you even consider getting a new dog. Some teams have delays of up to a year before they will let a prospect bring in a new dog.

The only reason I ask is it is more common than not for someone to get a dog for SAR and THEN look for a team and most teams would rather have someone trained as a searcher first to make sure they are going to stick with it and possibly help them find the right dog.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM

maybe talk to kleinen hain here on the board..I have a puppy out of her MAX who is SAR,,and a eurosport female who is narcotics certified..she also kept a male..these dogs have noses that won't quit and brains to boot ))

good luck in your search
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

I have been talking to a guy in California who has a small female (21 inches) who has great hunt drive and sounds like an ideal SAR prospect - well bred too...just too small for a breeding female by the standard...has some foundation work, no dog aggression.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

Echo what Diane said. We have seen both of Wanda's dogs and very impressed!.

We are going to the agility match next weekend in Murf at MTSU - Wanda, will you be there?

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

The day I have the money and time to commit to a new pup, Eurosport is one of the first on my list, I even have their site bookmarked

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Crowned Member

just too small for a breeding female by the standard...has some foundation work, no dog aggression

This is exactly what someone needs to purchase, NOT a puppy especially a GSD. Sorry but true. pups are too much of a crap shoot and it is too long before you know what you are getting as far as drive for the work. Young adults are the best bet because what you see is what you get, I cannot tell you how many dogs have been brought to me that folks purchased as pups that I washed out in minutes. I have been breeding working dogs for 20years and even the best bred parents do not produce whole litters of dogs capable for the work and you cannot do enough evals on a pup to tell you what you will wind up with as an adult
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Renee,

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page