Probability of Detection (P.O.D.) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Probability of Detection (P.O.D.)

Quote:
Quote: My only point was that in our area this is not always the case. And down here we do work in the Gulf and inlets, tributaries ect often along side or for the Coast guard and the rule that they usually do not always move significantly does not always apply. Other bodies of water I would never assume to know about and would definately defer to your experience.
ONE MORE TIME. Did I say the Gulf of Mexico? I work with coast guard too. I am on the Gulf. I do NOT work dogs in the gulf. Nobody does. The only exception is when we ride out with Customs or Coast Guard to board ships with narc dogs.
If you are working in the Gulf of Mexico, along the shore or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sharon it is a terminology issue but since the thread was about POD I think it is important be technically "correct"

An area does not have a POD until it has been searched.
IC may ask to search an area in such a way to wind up with a particular POD [fairly easy to determine on an open grid search, more subjective on other types of searches.

The article link for sarbc is consistent with all I have learned and with attempts to standardize search terminology etc. good to be on the same page.

Once again accepting the point that it is ONLY one of many tools and no better than the people who are doing the search management

Another comment is that the PLS is not always a reliable indicator - as witness accounts are often unreliable. The LKP should always be searched too.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just wanted to let all of you that I'm reading all your posts and learning from them. Thanks.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Knighted Member

Nancy, I appreciate your clarification of the phrasing as I understand that by my confusing the two I not only muddy the waters for myself but for others too. Thank you

As to the rest of this thread: I have no desire to once again get into any confrontation due to disagreeing with statements of others. I come to this forum for a positive learning experience, not to feel verbally accosted every time I voice an opinion that may differ from anothers. This I feel is counterproductive to the learning process. I do not know about others but I feel that it creates a very difficult enviroment to ask honest questions and opinions if you fear ridicule or negativity every time you type.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:As to the rest of this thread: I have no desire to once again get into any confrontation due to disagreeing with statements of others. I come to this forum for a positive learning experience, not to feel verbally accosted every time I voice an opinion that may differ from anothers. This I feel is counterproductive to the learning process. I do not know about others but I feel that it creates a very difficult enviroment to ask honest questions and opinions if you fear ridicule or negativity every time you type.

I wanted to clarify that I do not work in the Gulf of Mexico. Now, you said that you do. I am curious as to how and if you have made recoveries and under what circumstances. We do not do that here. That is why I am curious
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: This I feel is counterproductive to the learning process. I do not know about others but I feel that it creates a very difficult enviroment to ask honest questions and opinions if you fear ridicule or negativity every time you type.
If I appeared harsh,I apologize, but I do not want folks out there to think that working an HRD dog in the ocean is an option. Lots of folks read ,and we never hear from them. That being said. I live on the Gulf. We work the bays(which is bad enough) but not in the ocean. You have repeatedly said that you do,so I would like to hear how and if it has been successful. If one makes statements, one should be willing to back them up with fact. Nobody that I know works a dog in the ocean. It is not the thing to do. I also know several handlers in Florida and they agree with me so that is why I am curious and asked the question.prove me wrong .
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Knighted Member

I will clarify, I do not mean a drop in the bucket, great depths, open waters search. No one could work that area and I would not be rediculous enough to suggest it, that was again not my intent.

What I am talking about could not be called a "true" shore line search either. For example, the case where we were able to locate one victim but never found the other had the boat moored just over 3/4-1 off a mile off the barrier island in the Gulf, the victim was found in open water in the Gulf. Another search was from a river that dumped into an inland water way and then into the Gulf, the victim was found in open water in the Gulf outside the opening to the inland water way. In this search we searched the river, then the inland water way but only when searchers ventured into the gulf was the victim located. I am not trying to argue particulars with anyone, I was simply stating that we have searched in the Gulf.

If you would classify these as shore line searches even if in the Gulf, please educate me.

I was not saying it was easy, nor that myself nor anyone with far more experience than me has had great success with these types of searches, quite the opposite. In fact the ONLY reason I brought up the Gulf, inland water, bay ways ect was that because of tidal flow and currents and the very flat water way floors, body's can travel significant distances.(in the 4 angels search the last child Hannah travelled 60 miles from the Dauphin Island bridge) That was the ONLY point I was trying to make.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Crowned Member

I will clarify, I do not mean a drop in the bucket, great depths, open waters search. No one could work that area and I would not be rediculous enough to suggest it, that was again not my intent.

That is why I wanted clarification. There are folks that read but never post. I would never want anyone to think that working out in the Gulf is a good idea. It might amaze you what folks will do with just a little information. I do not do shoreline either. We do nothing with the Gulf. We work the bays and such. but nothing else.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Estimate of Search Effectiveness
• Coverage (C)
- C = (W x (L1 + L3) + W/2 x L2) / S1 x S2
– or C = (W x (L1 + L3) + W/2 x L2) /A
– Probability of Detection (POD) = 1 – e-Coverage
• The exponential detection function above is used to
account for random influences and alteration of tracks
(aka Murphy’s Law).
5/22/
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Whaaaat?

That sure makes for a strange first post. If the variables are related to width, length, and speed I am sure this would be related to an airplane making sweeps over open water but irrelevant for ground searches and even more so for dogs.

If this is a serious post, please add to the discussion. If not, haha.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page