Picking up my first IPO prospect puppy at end of year - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By lhczth
  • 2 Post By Chip Blasiole
  • 2 Post By elleeliz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Picking up my first IPO prospect puppy at end of year

Hi everyone!

As the title says, if all goes according to plan I'm picking up my first IPO puppy prospect at the end of the year. I've been reading up on raising a working puppy and wanted to know what resources I should be reading up on. General puppy info, working dog info, all info is greatly appreciated. I'm in the DFW area of Texas. Does anyone know anything about the club DFW Working Dogs? From my research, that's the only club I see around me, but am open to others if anyone has any suggestions. Any tips, advice, stories whatever is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would go and check out the club. Get a feel for them and, if they feel like a good fit, get some pointers about raising your puppy.
Tennessee, CometDog and elleeliz like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Master Member

Two good books are "Purely Positive Training-Companion to Competition" by Sheila Booth and "Schutzhund Obedience-Training in Drive" with Gottfried Dildei and by Sheila Booth.
Tennessee and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

I have the Purely Positive book. Good one!

Definitely get with your club. They will help you with the foundation. I didn't start until my dog was 9 months and had to undo a lot before doing things that gelled well with sport.

This new pup I have who is now 6 months started going to club at 10 weeks.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Master Member

Hey there! I live in the DFW area but do PSA with K9 Working Dogs of Dallas. As far as IPO/IGP, DFW Working dogs is a good club. Go check them out, ask questions and see if it's a good fit.

There is also a DVG club in Waxahachie that I have heard good things about called Total Working Hund Verein. Contact info can be found here. I was told you should call instead of email: MWKG Clubs

There is also United Fido Schutzhund Club that meets in Grand Prairie. United FIDO Schutzhund Club

Good luck!

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Master Member

Like the others I also have the Purely Positive Training book (both paper back & online) and its a great resource!

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the replies thus far! I am looking into all of these suggestions
lhczth and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page