IPO training in Virginia Beach, VA - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

IPO training in Virginia Beach, VA

Hey everyone! My wife and I are moving to Virginia Beach in March and I'd really be interested in doing some IPO training with my GSD. Is there any training in this area that would be newbie friendly? I don't know anything about the sport except what little bit I got to watch a few times. I think it would be a great way for me to bond even more with my dog and meet some people in the area. Is a 4 year old dog too old to participate? He's had some IPO training but doesn't have any titles I know of. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Master Member

You could check out Tidewater Schutzhund Club and Dutch East. I believe Dutch East is a commercial business rather than a club. A lot depends on your dog's genetics more than his age. What is his breeding?
junker likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey wow thanks man! Thats' awesome! I'll have to look into those the next couple weeks and check them out after we move and settle in. What do you mean by Dutch East being a commercial business? I'm guessing you mean like professional trainers?

I don't know anything about Dax's breeding. I kind of lucked into getting him and he's an awesome dog. I didn't think to ask anything like that when he was given to me. Does it matter if I don't have any papers for him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM

@junker,
I would go and watch both clubs for several weeks before joining. Send me a PM and I will give you some first hand info on both clubs. There are some other clubs in the area that work dogs that do not do IPO, they may be a better fit.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 AM
Master Member

Jim could probably give you better information than me. I think Dutch East used to have an actual club and now just train customers and their dogs toward a title. Unless the rules have changed, you don't have to have papers and would enter your dog as a mixed breed, even though he is a GSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page