IPO not just for fun? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshrew View Post
Thank you all for the enlightening responses! It makes sense that the club doesn't want to invest in an unknown, I hadn't thought of that. Anyway it's the only club within a reasonable drive for me and so I have set aside that idea anyway. I will be looking into some other sport for my guy in which the organization isn't so selective. Thanks very much!
There are tons of fun things to do with your dog and lots of places and sports that will welcome you as a beginner.

I personally think it is short sighted to send people packing because they just want to have fun with their dog...some of those people are going to become the next generation of die hard dog people once they get hooked.

I can tell you that there are plenty of AKC people who are not getting paid to help beginners who do so with a smile on their face so my advice is find somewhere welcoming and do some fun things with your dog. There is SO much out there to do. If I were you I'd look for a local kennel club, where you might find anything from rally, obedience, nosework classes.

Look for an AKC tracking club, they often do spring time beginner's clinics to help people get into the sport. That's how I got started tracking with my dog.

I've heard for years how snobby and nasty AKC Obedience people can be, and some of them are. But last fall my dog and I competed in AKC obedience for the first time and people were super welcoming and supportive of me and my dog, and we were a couple hours out of our home zone and didn't know too many people there so these were just total strangers to me.

There are three or four kennel clubs within sort of driving distance of me out here in the middle of nowhere and there are classes or group practices welcoming beginners for all of the following:

-obedience
-rally
-barn hunt
-dock diving
-tracking
-agility

probably other things I am not thinking of at the moment.
CometDog and Kitty Nikolai like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post

There are three or four kennel clubs within sort of driving distance of me out here in the middle of nowhere and there are classes or group practices welcoming beginners for all of the following:

-obedience
-rally
-barn hunt
-dock diving
-tracking
-agility

probably other things I am not thinking of at the moment.
Tri-ball
Dog Pakour
Trick dog titling
Man-trailing (SAR like training)
Nose-work (finding scent in boxes, etc)
bikejoring
Thecowboysgirl and CometDog like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshrew View Post
Thank you all for the enlightening responses! It makes sense that the club doesn't want to invest in an unknown, I hadn't thought of that. Anyway it's the only club within a reasonable drive for me and so I have set aside that idea anyway. I will be looking into some other sport for my guy in which the organization isn't so selective. Thanks very much!
For four years I had a club for people just like you. There was about 7-10 German Shepherd owners ( mostly from AKC breed club) who many had gotten working line dogs and I agreed to give them Sundays from 8am to 2pm for training in tracking, obedience, and protection if their dog was capable. We trained for 4 years. I told them I would put the foundation work in their dogs, then they would have to join a club to achieve their titles. We kept it fun, never had any acrimony and boy did those people have fun with their dogs. Four of the group got their BH with us then three of them joined clubs for further titling. Two of our dogs got advanced tracking titles, and all of the folks had fun. We had AKC SL dogs, DDR dogs, Czech/West dogs, and German SL, and German working lines. I never accepted any money for my helper worK. We disbanded two years ago, but this is the way we used to train back in the day when things like IPO was not a sport, but a title.
Hope you find a good training group!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:42 PM

I am visiting a club tomorrow with my GSD which is about 30 minutes away, we are going to observe. They are very welcoming to the public which is nice. I had not really heard of Schutzhund before, but a man I ran into who has an 8 y/o GSD told me about it. His dog has been in training most of her life. He really liked my dog and kept commenting on her, and he suggested I check it out. After watching numerous videos I am quite interested. I would really like to do search & rescue with Maple at some point if she seems well suited for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page