Puppy Supplies/Toys - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Supplies/Toys

What supplies do you recommend getting in preparation of training a puppy in Schutzhund? What toys do you recommend for playing with the puppy and building drive/starting the foundation for bitework? Recommendations for puppy supplies in general are appreciated as well .

My list so far is in the pics attached. The crate size I have listed is for a small 8 wk old puppy btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tulip; 01-25-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

Skip Leesburg. Over priced. And no need to buy that stuff right now anyways.

Lots of food for training. Buy a cheap collar that they just outgrow. Soft toys to chomp on. Don't spend a lot on those either. They just destroy them. Get a clicker. Get a bowl to teach them perchwork for rear end awareness.

Chews to keep them busy. Antlers. Bully sticks. Raw meaty bones.

Either find a cheap used varikennel that's a smaller size or buy the right size for an adult if you buy new.

Don't spend money right now on things they don't use until they are adults.
Bramble, Nigel, Gregc and 1 others like this.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

Any recommendations on a bowl for perch work? I can never find a good one. Would love a good link to one! And I was planning on looking for a used crate . I've already got a million clickers haha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'll send you a list this weekend. Have your vet put the microchip in. It does not cost less. And make sure it can be read by any scanner. I have home again chips.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Master Member

I would go with the regular Fromm LBP Gold rather than the grain-free. It's cheaper, comes in a bigger size bag and actually has a better ingredient makeup compared to the Heartland Gold grain-free. Unless there is a reason to feed grain-free, i.e. allergy/sensitivity to grain, there is no reason to feed a grain-free food.
Sabis mom likes this.

Tom
Omen v Wolfstraum
Jasmine Katie v Doolanshaus
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I'll send you a list this weekend. Have your vet put the microchip in. It does not cost less. And make sure it can be read by any scanner. I have home again chips.
Our shelter also uses Home Again chips. Just out of curiosity, why specifically do you recommend having the vet do it? And thank you!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Clean-Air System View Post
I would go with the regular Fromm LBP Gold rather than the grain-free. It's cheaper, comes in a bigger size bag and actually has a better ingredient makeup compared to the Heartland Gold grain-free. Unless there is a reason to feed grain-free, i.e. allergy/sensitivity to grain, there is no reason to feed a grain-free food.
I've done the research and I will still always feed grain-free. That's just my personal choice.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Elite Member

Flirt pole and puppy tug.
Tulip likes this.

Yana

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Our shelter also uses Home Again chips. Just out of curiosity, why specifically do you recommend having the vet do it? And thank you!

Because you have to register the chip anyways so it doesn't cost any less for the vet to do it.
Tulip likes this.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any recommendations on a bowl for perch work? I can never find a good one. Would love a good link to one! And I was planning on looking for a used crate . I've already got a million clickers haha

Tractor Supplies or any store that sells things for livestock will have black rubber bowls of various sizes. They are sturdy and will last forever.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ber-feeder-pan

Stuffable toys like Kongs, Toppl, ect.. Good for stuffing with wet food then you can freeze and it will keep a pup busy. I tend to use food for training, but when I can't the pup still has to work for it.
Tulip likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page