Puppy Supplies/Toys - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Tractor Supplies or any store that sells things for livestock will have black rubber bowls of various sizes. They are sturdy and will last forever.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ber-feeder-pan

Stuffable toys like Kongs, Toppl, ect.. Good for stuffing with wet food then you can freeze and it will keep a pup busy. I tend to use food for training, but when I can't the pup still has to work for it.
Thank you so much for the link!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Because you have to register the chip anyways so it doesn't cost any less for the vet to do it.
Alright, I'll include that in my vet visit then!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

I like gappay balls and tugs. chuck it balls with the strap. That feeder pan from TSC is exactly what I use. I have the smallest one and the next size up. I like the Skineez toys for puppys.

I would not buy to many things until you get started training. Did you contact a club yet? I would do that and find one you like. I think there are 3 in your area. Just go visit and see what vibes you get.
Tulip likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I like gappay balls and tugs. chuck it balls with the strap. That feeder pan from TSC is exactly what I use. I have the smallest one and the next size up. I like the Skineez toys for puppys.

I would not buy to many things until you get started training. Did you contact a club yet? I would do that and find one you like. I think there are 3 in your area. Just go visit and see what vibes you get.
I've visited a couple clubs in the area and have found one that I really liked and am planning on taking the pup to . Thanks for toy suggestions!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Favorites-The suede leather tugs- they are special- (Luna’s favorite). Chuck it balls(max’s Favorite ). Hedgehog toys. I use to tie a rope around the skineez toys was almost like a flirt pole I had to make sure it did not resemble our chihuahua. Himalayan Chews. A good nail dremel and or nail clipper it is good idea to get puppy used of nail trims/dremel early- saves headaches and money. A good garbage can worth every penny. Sometimes smart pak has sales on really nice puppy collars that lasted awhile if sized right. https://www.simplehuman.com/plastic-.../mocha-plastic
Tulip likes this.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Favorites-The suede leather tugs- they are special- (Luna’s favorite). Chuck it balls(max’s Favorite ). Hedgehog toys. I use to tie a rope around the skineez toys was almost like a flirt pole I had to make sure it did not resemble our chihuahua. Himalayan Chews. A good nail dremel and or nail clipper it is good idea to get puppy used of nail trims/dremel early- saves headaches and money. A good garbage can worth every penny. Sometimes smart pak has sales on really nice puppy collars that lasted awhile if sized right. https://www.simplehuman.com/plastic-.../mocha-plastic
Thank you for all the suggestions! I actually asked my fiance for a nail dremel for Christmas so I've already got that ready to start getting the pup used to! I'm also planning on bathing her at work and getting her used to our high velocity air dryer, since Kody would straight up attack me every time I turned that thing on

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

You should definitely not try microchipping yourself! First, it can be painful because it's a big needle, and you don't want your inexperience to make it more painful than necessary. Second, the chips can pop right back out (and you might not even notice), if done incorrectly. Our rescue chips dozens of dogs and buys chips in bulk to hand them off to the vet to insert because we don't want to screw them up!

FWIW, I would recommend that you price-check with your local vet clinic before booking the appointment because I've learned recently that some local vets are charging about $100 to chip a dog -- which is ridiculous. They're paying $10-$25 for the chip, so the rest is just profit. Most vets charge a reasonable insertion fee over the cost of the chip, so it's usually well under $50 (including activation -- and check that, as some clinics are putting in chips that require you to pay extra to activate them when you go online to register them).

If you find your local vets are on the "expensive" side for this service, either use the shelter's chipping program, or go to a vaccine clinic in a Petco/PetSmart/Tractor Supply store where a vet will do it very reasonably. This one charges $19 at their in-store clinics, staffed by licensed veterinarians:

https://www.vetcoclinics.com/service...cs/microchips/

Something like half or more of microchips never get registered, and even more aren't updated with valid contact info, so please make sure you don't forget that step, if the vet or shelter doesn't do it for you!

Last edited by Magwart; 01-26-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
You should definitely not try microchipping yourself! First, it can be painful because it's a big needle, and you don't want your inexperience to make it more painful than necessary. Second, the chips can pop right back out (and you might not even notice), if done incorrectly. Our rescue chips dozens of dogs and buys chips in bulk to hand them off to the vet to insert because we don't want to screw them up!

FWIW, I would recommend that you price-check with your local vet clinic before booking the appointment because I've learned recently that some local vets are charging about $100 to chip a dog -- which is ridiculous. They're paying $10-$25 for the chip, so the rest is just profit. Most vets charge a reasonable insertion fee over the cost of the chip, so it's usually well under $50 (including activation -- and check that, as some clinics are putting in chips that require you to pay extra to activate them when you go online to register them).

If you find your local vets are on the "expensive" side for this service, either use the shelter's chipping program, or go to a vaccine clinic in a Petco/PetSmart/Tractor Supply store where a vet will do it very reasonably. This one charges $19 at their in-store clinics, staffed by licensed veterinarians:

https://www.vetcoclinics.com/service...cs/microchips/

Something like half or more of microchips never get registered, and even more aren't updated with valid contact info, so please make sure you don't forget that step, if the vet or shelter doesn't do it for you!
When did I ever say that i was planning on microchipping myself?? I was originally planning on having my local shelter do it since I know that they only charge $25. That's crazy that some vets charge that much!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
When did I ever say that i was planning on microchipping myself??

Your supply list had the cost of a chip from a pet supply place as one of your options, so I inferred you were considering buying it from a supply store to DIY as some people do for vaccines. I'm glad that's not what you intended.

By the way, in South Texas, be sure you've got flea and heartworm prevention covered in that first vet appointment too. Different products start at different ages, but I probably wouldn't start it any later than 12-weeks in a heavy-HW area like this. You might also need a tick product, depending on whether they're bad locally.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-26-2019 at 12:15 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Your supply list had the cost of a chip from a pet supply place as one of your options, so I inferred you were considering buying it from a supply store to DIY as some people do for vaccines. I'm glad that's not what you intended.
Ohhhh lol, no, that is a pet store that I have heard does microchipping for (I think) about $17. It's just a pet store, they dont sell vaccines or anything like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page