BH a prerequisite? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

BH a prerequisite?

Hello. Is BH a pre-req or just a good idea to do before pursuing IPO1? Can they be done during the same trial ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Itís a requirement, itís a test to prove your dog has the requisite temperament.

Itís my understanding you can do them at the same trial but not the same day.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, it is a prerequisite --- In my few years in the sport, I've heard many people proclaim that they are going to go BH, 1 & 2 in the same multi-day trial ---- and it just doesn't happen that way. But my experience is limited. You can do it so long as it is on different days of the same trial. But if they run BH first thing in the morning, then do tracking or obedience afterward, it's not going to work. One club I know will do BH, obedience and protection in the evening, then tracking the next morning. So it can be difficult to find a venue set up to let you do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Yes, it is a prerequisite --- In my few years in the sport, I've heard many people proclaim that they are going to go BH, 1 & 2 in the same multi-day trial ---- and it just doesn't happen that way. But my experience is limited. You can do it so long as it is on different days of the same trial. But if they run BH first thing in the morning, then do tracking or obedience afterward, it's not going to work. One club I know will do BH, obedience and protection in the evening, then tracking the next morning. So it can be difficult to find a venue set up to let you do this.
If you want them to laugh, tell God or your dog your plans. LOL
middleofnowhere likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 AM

The BH is required and like others stated, you probably won't have time to do it all in one day. Also, if it is your first BH you will have a written test to take (I know DVG does, unless that got dropped with the latest changes)

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, a BH is a requirement.

The BH is a 3 part test of obedience, temperament for the dog and a written test for the handler.

In USCA - You can not do a BH and a 1 in the same day. It's against the rules. You can do a BH and a 1 in the same trial on different days. Not something I would do, makes for a long weekend for the dog but to each their own.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

DVG also says "not the same day" but allows the same trial --- but with the way the clubs I'm familiar with structure their trials, that would be "unlikely" at best.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

**** You only need to do the written test once - for your entire Schutzhund career. They give you proof that you've done it.
car2ner likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page