Helping a beginner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By lhczth
  • 4 Post By Steve Strom
  • 1 Post By Chip Blasiole

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Helping a beginner

Hi Everyone! I have fell in love with IPO about a year ago, but have waited for the right time to get a pup. I think that I am ready to get one, but I really don't want to screw this up so I thought I would come onto here and ask my questions to make sure. If you can answer any of these I would really appreciate it!

1. Can you give me a daily schedule that you use
2. How much of your training is "official," and how much is making them work for dinner etc
3. How much straight up walking/running do you do for them?
4. Any tips that I should know so that my puppy can have a super solid base?
5. Beginning protection tips?
6. Crated overnight as an adult dog?
7. Raw food diet?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:12 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfast View Post
Hi Everyone! I have fell in love with IPO about a year ago, but have waited for the right time to get a pup. I think that I am ready to get one, but I really don't want to screw this up so I thought I would come onto here and ask my questions to make sure. If you can answer any of these I would really appreciate it!

1. Can you give me a daily schedule that you use
2. How much of your training is "official," and how much is making them work for dinner etc
3. How much straight up walking/running do you do for them?
4. Any tips that I should know so that my puppy can have a super solid base?
5. Beginning protection tips?
6. Crated overnight as an adult dog?
7. Raw food diet?

Thanks so much!

Hi. Sorry no one has answered you. I didn't even see your post.

First and foremost, find a good club.

1. The schedule varies dog to dog and also what level of training the dog is at. Our club meets 2-4 times per week and I try to make it to at least 2 if not all of the sessions (depends on my schedule). Then I track 3-4 times per week, do obedience a couple of times outside of the club so 4 - 5 days per week or so.

2.I don't work my dogs for their meals. I pick puppies that have very high food drive. If we are tracking that day, I do feed a smaller breakfast. I also do try to keep my dogs lean so they aren't bored with their food.

3. They need conditioning so if they will swim I swim them 3X per week in the spring/summer/fall. Otherwise we do a lot of walks around my land up and down the hills. Maybe some ball play, but I try to be very careful with that. I also will bike. Sometimes I do things like run blinds.

4. Get them out to see the world. They don't need to be touched by everyone or play with other dogs, but they do need to learn to function around them. No dog parks. Let them be puppies, but also get a good foundation on them. Look into Dave Kroyer's videos. He has excellent videos on teaching your puppy to think and learn.
https://www.davekroyer.com/

5. Find a club. As an inexperienced person, you can do far more harm than good. No work is much better than bad work. First, though, get a pup with the right genetics. If the genetics are excellent, there isn't really much that you would need to do.

6. My adults rotate sleeping on my bed. My current dog sleeps on the bed at night unless she is in heat. My puppies are crated. They are crated while at club and usually before we do any training on our own.

7. I am a very long time raw feeder (almost 20 years). It can be a huge pain for traveling and if you are going to use meals for training and tracking. I use hotdogs for tracking and sometimes a bit of kibble (junk food, LOL) or I have cut up cooked gizzards and hearts too, but the hot dogs are so much easier. I use cheddar cheese for obedience.
onyx'girl, Mudypoz and Femfa like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
5. Find a club. As an inexperienced person, you can do far more harm than good. No work is much better than bad work. First, though, get a pup with the right genetics. If the genetics are excellent, there isn't really much that you would need to do.
Just to add to this runfast, see the dogs in person and doing as many different things as you can. Don't get singularly focused on drive, nerves are the most important part of the dogs.
lhczth, SuperG, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much! This was super helpful! I really appreciate it!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Master Member

I think it is important to try to narrow down what traits you are hoping to obtain in your next pup. If you are new to all this, you probably don't have a good understanding of what the different traits are or what they mean. Then you need to find people who know something about the dogs in pedigrees you are looking at and what they know about what kind of dogs have been produced by the dogs in the pedigree along with health issues. Have you considered how much you are willing to pay for a pup? What kind of arrangements do you have to house the pup/dog when you are not there? Are you looking at show lines or working lines? It sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse a little. I would invest more time trying to learn about different traits and dogs/lines that tend to produce those types of traits. Finding the right club that is within reasonable traveling distance is also important and not all that easy in the states because of the size of the country. Like Lisa said, try to find a pup with the "right genetics." There can be some consensus as to what that means, but you can tailor things more by knowing what different lines tend to produce.
Here is an informative link for you to read.
https://www.schutzhundvillage.com/arminhome.html
Katsugsd likes this.

Last edited by Chip Blasiole; 01-04-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page