Question on puppy bite training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Question on puppy bite training

The forum sees a lot of questions about Land Sharking and how to resolve it. With my puppy I really enjoyed rough play and the biting...for the most part. But I also taught her a "Stop" command to end it when it became too much, was inappropriate at that particular time, or when I needed to sop up blood LOL!

This seemed to work really well for her, and I don't see any hesitation on her part to engage in biting in spite of it. From my perspective, it was sort of laying the ground work for impulse control.

But my question is, is there a downside to this if one wants to train for IPO? What method(s) did you personally use, if any, to control LandShark behavior and why?

Your insight is appreciated!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It has depended a lot on the puppy. Some were easy to redirect. Others got put up if they were too awful. As they got older I would add in corrections if needed, but most do learn when biting is allowed and when it isn't.

I also tug with my puppies. I tell them "we're done" when I am ready to stop and over time they learn the game has ended.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page