Not interested in playing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Not interested in playing

We have a 3 month old female gsd puppy! We were very interested in putting her into ipo or psa but she’s not very interested in the flirt pole, she just stands there and looks around or smells the grass, both parents are very high drive dogs, but i can’t seem to find a way to make her bark and chase after it....the breeder said she would be great for psa or ipo, should we rehome and find another puppy with a better temperament? We need advice please. a few months ago we took Care of her brother and she played tug and was super great but ever since we gave her litter mate to it’s new owner she’s doesn’t want to play...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Knighted Member

How old is she? It says she is only 3 months.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
How old is she? It says she is only 3 months.
she’s 3 she loved chasing the flirt pole at 1month with 3 weeks but she’s not interested in it anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Knighted Member

Will she chase a ball, play tug with a rope or tug toy, how is her food drive? Will she work for food? What have you done with her thus far.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

I guess she is 3 years? She has drive because she did like it before. Question, please do not be offended. How much fun are you for her? Have you introduced other games? GSDs are easily bored. Can you post a video so we can she her behavior and body language?
ksotto333 and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM

3 months or 3 years? And exactly how long was the littermate with you, and exactly how long ago did you send the other dog away?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Elite Member

I assume you mean 3 months. Your first sentence says that Have you asked the breeder about this? You said the breeder said should be good drive for IPO and PSA. Assuming you have only had her a few weeks (if she left breeder at 8 weeks) I would be asking the breeder these questions. Also a good breeder will want their pup back or at least to be consulted on an alternate home. You had a littermate? When did they separate?
Malibu likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Master Member

At 3 months she'll still be in the bonding process with you and it very well may take some time for her to realize what you want her to do...everything is still new to her....keep working with the ball or flirt pole daily...teasing her and giving encouragement ..when she does what you want her to do-even if it's just picking up a ball for a moment praise her and give her a treat...some take longer than others...in my case I've always had the advantage of multiple dogs...the younger pup learned from watching the older pack members....some dogs also have favorite "people" that they WANT to play with more than others JMO....also sounds like she misses her brother--give her time she'll get over the separation ....the keyword is time and patience on your part

Last edited by Shane'sDad; 10-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would give her a little time to see if the drive comes back. If you are the one messing with the flirt poll then have your club make sure you are doing it right. I have had dogs that didn't care much for play/prey at a young age who had a ton of drive as they aged. It depends a lot on the bloodline. I have also seen super puppies at 8 weeks who are not as good as they mature.
Malibu likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketBackDuo View Post
. a few months ago we took Care of her brother and she played tug and was super great but ever since we gave .
Doing the math it doesn't make sense that this pup is 3 months old unless the brother is a full sibling from an earlier litter. This situation is tough for both. It is hard to bond with a pup you are disappointed in and it radiates to the pup, thus continuing the cycle.
Or is she 3 years? OP, please clarify. If she is 3 years and you are not happy with her, why not find a home where they love her for who she is instead of trying to mold her into some dog she can't be. From reading the OP's posts, it doesn't have to do with behavior problems, which usually can be fixed, but more with a mismatch in personalities.
How about looking at it from another angle: maybe she is grieving the absence of her brother. When my teacher dog died, it took me at least three months to get the two surviving dogs over their grieve. They were honestly depressed, withdrawn and I had a heck of a time getting them to eat. They were anorexic. Being skinny Whippets to start with, that was not good.
CometDog and Orphan Heidi like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-02-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page