New rules for IPO 2019 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

New rules for IPO 2019

Very simple overview of the significant changes:
1. The name will now be “IGP” - –“International Gebrauchshund Prufung” (International Working Dog Test), no longer IPO –“International Prufung Ordnund”
2. BH- the heeling pattern will be slightly shorter but will still include on and off leash heeling.
3. IGP1-2-3 levels of track will have 3 articles, each worth 7 points for a total of 21 points for articles.
4. The FH, FH2, and IPO FH will remain basically unchanged.
5. In all Obedience the distance the handler will throw the dumbbell is more clearly defined as approximately 10 meters, the height of the hurtle and wall remain the same. The jump will have to have a top board that allows it to pivot if touched and then return to its starting position.The minimum distance from the jump or wall is defined as 4 meters (no longer 5 paces). The scoring for the send-out exercise scoring is more clearly defined.
6. The IGP Obedience will change slightly in the IGP1 to exclude the retrieve over the wall and instead have a recall over the wall without the retrieve. In both IGP2-3 there are no significant changes proposed.
7. The IGP protection will still include pressure and stick contact (padded stick hits) and an “Attack on the Dog Out of Motion” (long bite/courage test) at all levels but done slightly different from current for level 1 -2. There are some changes in all levels most significantly in the IGP1.
8. The IGP1 will no longer require a blind search of the # 5 blind, the dog will instead be sent directly into the #6 blind (find blind). The handler will be allowed in IGP1 to leash the dog during pickup and transport exercises.
9. The IGP2 will no longer have an “Attack Out of Back Transport”, but will have an additional Reattack (defense) exercise with no stick contact after the “Attack on Dog Out of Motion” (long bite/courage test) like the IGP3.
10. The Attack on the Dog Out of Motion (long bite / courage test) for the IGP1 and 2 will not require the helper to return to the blind and then run out to the mid-line and towards the dog/handler instead the helper will remain mid field after the last defense exercise and the handler will pick up the dog and heel away down the mid-line of the field to a distance of approximately 30 meters away for the IGP1, 40 meters away for the IGP2 then the handler will stop and turn towards the helper where the judge will signal the exercise to begin.
11. The IGP3 does not change from our current IPO3 in any phase.
12. Additional sporting titles are slightly changed or added, examples are the IPO V no longer has protection it will only be tracking and obedience, countries will be allowed to offer FPr (TR) 1-2-3, UPr (OB) 1-2-3, BgH 1-2-3 (obedience with additional exercises like retrieves, send out etc), APR 1-2-3 (obedience and protection), and a ZTP for organizations using this as a breed test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Master Member

Thanks for posting that! What are the pros and cons of these changes... ?

As someone new to the sport, it makes me wonder if this is just to make it easier for extremes to excel, or for dogs less qualified to title. It makes me wonder what the legitimacy behind these changes is.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:26 PM

My training director, when we did IPO, used to say that the step from the BH to IPO1 was a big one, something more intermediate might be better. Otherwise you can loose a lot of new teams when it becomes too frustrating. Schutzhund 3 should still be a tough goal to achieve if it is a breed test.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Crowned Member

BH to IPO1 is a huge step. IPO1 to IPO2 is pretty big as well. IPO2 to IPO3 was a fairly easy transition. I think some of the new rules are dumb. But I also see a smoother transition for handler from title to title. My biggest beef is that the jumps are now unsafe. It will take a dog breaking their legs to prove it to the masterminds though.
lhczth likes this.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The changes made to the IGP1 obedience are stupid. Main change is the removal of the retrieve over the wall. If a dog can do the retrieve over the jump and a recall over the wall, they can do the retrieve over the wall. They could have eliminated the wall all together, like the old SchH1, and that would have made far more sense. Most of the other changes are minor, but this one is the most ridiculous.
gsdluvr likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
The changes made to the IGP1 obedience are stupid. Main change is the removal of the retrieve over the wall. If a dog can do the retrieve over the jump and a recall over the wall, they can do the retrieve over the wall. They could have eliminated the wall all together, like the old SchH1, and that would have made far more sense. Most of the other changes are minor, but this one is the most ridiculous.
It really is stupid. Obviously someone had to earn their wages on that one.
lhczth and gsdluvr like this.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
BH to IPO1 is a huge step. IPO1 to IPO2 is pretty big as well. IPO2 to IPO3 was a fairly easy transition. I think some of the new rules are dumb. But I also see a smoother transition for handler from title to title. My biggest beef is that the jumps are now unsafe. It will take a dog breaking their legs to prove it to the masterminds though.
Why are the jumps unsafe now vs before?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

google the new jumps. Post your opinion on the design flaws. All of us that have previous experience in jumping with horses or agility see the same thing.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
google the new jumps. Post your opinion on the design flaws. All of us that have previous experience in jumping with horses or agility see the same thing.
Having a dog who broke the wood on an immovable hurdle, I thought the rotating top piece sounded good. Is there something else I don't know about?

Doc

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Having a dog who broke the wood on an immovable hurdle, I thought the rotating top piece sounded good. Is there something else I don't know about?
the rotating top piece does not pop off on some of them if the dog misjudges and their leg go below the pivot point.

When your club buys one, you should really evaluate all of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page