• 1 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 2 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Unintentionally Capping Drive?

I have been SOOO busy at work lately. I do litigation support and we had three cases go to trial in last month. Unheard of! Means very busy days during my parenting time (joint custody) and War Room support on my off parenting week. Which means when the lawyer team decides they need a giant exhibit board made of someone's...oh...I dont' know...esophagus..at like 2AM...I have to be available to produce it.

Normally I work from home 2 to 3 days a week and visit clients the other days. Even on my road days I usually am home while the sitter is here so I have time to do some OB with Valor. Not the last 5 weeks, nope. I have not worked him AT ALL for like 4 weeks.

I thought I'd get him on the street (I live on a long dead end) and he would be all sloppy and forgetful of what we had done. NOPE! He had an enthusiasm I have not seen out of yet lol ..he looked like a Ferrari Prancing Horse during his Fuss. Nailed to down and sit in motion in a split 2nd (he is normally a thinker and does things with slower deliberation that some "sporty" dogs. I mean it is fast, but not hit the deck slam into your down fast). It was easily the be4st he ever did, and it was off lead

Brings me to a thought, maybe I should change it up. I may practice too much, maybe I need to add some new routine and only run the portions of the pattern sometimes. We NEED to start tracking...and we did start dumbell. But he seems so lit up this time just to do the BH pattern stuff!

How do you all rotate stuff, and do you do something EVERYDAY? Trying to hold on to this enthusiasm he showed, want to keep it interesting for him!
dogbyte likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

There is so much to do thst it's not an issue. We track every other day. Easy to vary tracks and how they are laid. For obedience, just pick different things to work on. One day might be heeling and out of motions. Another might be dumbells and jumps. Another is turns and send outs. How about barking? Back transports Which you can start by yourself. Or just conditioning?

Never ending list of things to do. Train for the next level always.
CometDog likes this.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Pattern training is boring. It is boring to us, it is boring to the dog. There are certain things I do in a pattern. I tend to do the in motions in order and the send out always comes after retrieves. I might go out and work heeling which can vary from a basic pattern to a lot of fast or fast to slow or a bunch of about turns or a lot of circles. I do usually try to take advantage of the group when training with the club. I usually will do a very short amount of heeling before doing the in motions even if my only goal that day is to work on the in motions. Once the dog understands the rules I usually do the recall from the down, but it is very rare from the stand. How I break things up also depends a lot on the age of the dog and their level of training. Older titled dog works small pieces less often than a young dog, but still not the whole routine.

I look at obedience as front half and back half. Front half is the heeling and in motions. Back half is the retrieves and send out. I work the down most of the time when with the club. So some days I do front half work and other days I do back half. As said above, that work doesn't mean the pattern every time I work obedience. I very rarely put the two halves together except on trial day.
CometDog likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Want to add. I don't work obedience every day with my titled dogs and even pretty rare with my young dogs. I do train every day in some form or another (except for most Mondays). I might track then work on barking conditioning or, like Jax mentioned, work on some secondary obedience for protection. Next day we will just work some obedience, next day only track or maybe track and do obedience. One or two days per week I will work all 3 phases.

Even in tracking I vary things. Anyone who is friends with me sees the different tracks I run (I post them on FB). Nothing more boring to me than running an IPO track over and over and over. LOL
car2ner and CometDog like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Awesome, thanks! BH and AD in a few months. Really looking forward to it!

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

Where are you going your BH and AD?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Where are you going your BH and AD?
PM inbound.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page