Dog- Fantastic..Human-needs to walk along walls for a week. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dog- Fantastic..Human-needs to walk along walls for a week.

LOl Valor is doing great. I keep walking diagonally. Dog is straight as a board to ME..but since I keep walking not straight, when we do sit or platz in motion he LOOKS crooked as far as field angles..but that is because I'm heading for a corner.

I have several advanced martial arts belts, I have competed in Grappler's Quest, I am a firearms instructor and can run, take cover, clear a shoot house, dead accurately.

I can't walk straight with a dog across a field lol HUH?!?!?

I think, but would love to hear other ideas, that I am worrying about glancing down at him too much. I don't do it on sidewalks obviously lol..just fields. Even in the park, the K9 handler friend who is mentoring me is constantly saying " the tree, just walk towards the tree..MY GOD the TREE"

Anyway, he is doing great. BH will be a breeze in the fall. We just transitioned to having tug in my right hand out of sight and jackpot rewards. So he doesn't look at the tug. His eye contact with me is really improving. He has the BH pattern down, so we are working on breaking it down into bits, increasing speed on his sit and platz commands. Keeping it fun.

Bite work, this will be his wheelhouse. He LOVES it. Just starting tracking. Should have a BH on him by December.

This is us, and this is fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36867560_10215635491493876_2988982184984969216_o.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	507889  

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 AM
Crowned Member

I LOVE his focus on you, what an expression!
CometDog likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Great looking dog and great focus.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Elite Member

I love that picture. To me it portrays a powerful team.

This might be a suggestion you can use to help you walk in straight line. Snap a line from one point to another (builders term where you tie a string from both points low to the ground) ankle height will do. Then straddle the line and walk. You will feel the line hitting your ankle if you veer off. Eventually, your eye and your legs should adjust accordingly on their own with out the line.

This is just a thought stemming from yrs of watching family in the construction business and sometimes helping w/home projects.

Good luck and fun with your BH in Dec.
CometDog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You can shoot, you can target a tree or pole and walk a straight line. Maybe have someone put another pole out there so you can line up your sites. Stand at the start, have them put out the second pole and then keep your sites aligned. It does get easier.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

Simply pick a landmark in the direction you need to go and walk toward it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I love that picture. To me it portrays a powerful team.

This might be a suggestion you can use to help you walk in straight line. Snap a line from one point to another (builders term where you tie a string from both points low to the ground) ankle height will do. Then straddle the line and walk. You will feel the line hitting your ankle if you veer off. Eventually, your eye and your legs should adjust accordingly on their own with out the line.

This is just a thought stemming from yrs of watching family in the construction business and sometimes helping w/home projects.

Good luck and fun with your BH in Dec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
You can shoot, you can target a tree or pole and walk a straight line. Maybe have someone put another pole out there so you can line up your sites. Stand at the start, have them put out the second pole and then keep your sites aligned. It does get easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Simply pick a landmark in the direction you need to go and walk toward it.
All great suggestions I think I am turning towards him and looking at him to see if he is straight, which ironically makes me walk towards the left. Just have dead reckon ahead and stop looking at the dog. It was also suggested to me to work on my perfect BH pattern. The more I know it by heart, the more confident we will both feel and look. I hear a lot of people screw up the actual pattern day of lo

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Your dog looks great. You have some very good suggestions on how to walk straight. It is as easy as picking a target straight ahead and walk to it.

Turning your body to see the dog can become a problem because it will make your dog crooked as well. Use your peripheral vision or periodically make contact with the dog with your left hand. You will soon know exactly where the dog's head and body are with out looking.

One thing to consider is to be very careful rewarding with your right hand or even keeping the tug in your right hand. Dog's read body language and he will quickly realize that he is being rewarded from the right side. It will cause him to forge and "wrap" around you when heeling. He will forge and wrap anticipating the reward from the right side. here is what happens; the dog is heeling beautifully like in the photo. You want to pay the dog for that precision and perfect alignment. You move your right hand to the tug and the dog sees this and as you are ready to pay he forges forward and wraps and gets rewarded. In the dog's mind he is getting paid for the forging and wrapping. This can create a bad habit.

I would keep the toy under your armpit or out of sight on your left hand side. The only thing that causes more problems is wearing pants with velcro pockets and keeping the toy in a pocket. As soon as the dog hears the sound of the velcro it wraps around or goes out of position in anticipation for the reward that it knows is coming.
CometDog likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

If you are checking his straighteness , then take just a couple steps and check it. Or look at your footsteps in the grass.

The judge will know if he's crooked, i.e. forging, so I wouldn't get to concerned about your line except when you are recalling. Then you want to be as straight as possible.
CometDog likes this.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 PM

If the field is a football field you can align yourself with one side of the goal post. For practical purposes all of the obedience routines are rectangular. If you lay out your program you can practice walking straight or perpendicular to the center line or your line with the goal post.
However not all fields are nice rectangular plot like a football field. Then you need to pick a landmark as a guide post. I think you could get someone to help you practice.

Try walking a perfect rectangle, then do a square and finally do a large triangle. The goal is to wind up at your starting spot. One other thing, keep track of paces per leg, this will help you organize your routine.

The judge will,probably allow a little latitude for drifting but if it appears to affect the dog he may Down grade.

I worked on the FB field but quickly realized that other fields we would be going to were more just an open area. So picking a guide post was important as well as practicing. After all you are training the dog you should be able to train yourself.....right.

Now when you get to tracking it is absolutely essential that you know where you are going. Then even more important where you have been or laid the track when you come back in say an hour. So picking land marks is very important if you can’t naturally walk a straight line.

Write it down at first if that will help. Keep the note handy for reference. I’m not exactly up to date on the rules now but when we did the SCH
routines, they were done in prescribed order. I was pretty nervous the first trial as it was at a field we had not been to before. I wrote a guide line on my arm like a tattoo so I wouldn’t forget anything or get confused. As it turned out I didn’t even refer to it.

The protection routine was mostly directed by the judges except the blind searches. You really should walk a straight line here or you could get docked for handler help.

You have already done some difficult activities so with a little practice by yourself you should be ok.

Byron
CometDog likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page