Introducing Age to the Track - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Introducing Age to the Track

Hi All!

Due to the fact that tracking spots are VERY limited, I have had to get in and out quickly...lol!

So, I realize in all this time, I've never aged a track more than 5 minutes!!

How do you like to introduce the age? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

Just let it age. add more time as you have success. Personally, probably due to genetics, age has never made a difference to my dog. I think he tracks better if it's aged.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

There is smell in the air that dissipates after about the first 30 mins, if I remember correctly what I have been told. And the older the track the less air scenting seems my dog does, but of course he is not doing IPO tracking although he is pretty accurate to the track.

I have added age just like every other change or challenge, gradually and reducing if necessary if the dog struggles. Mine has done 5 hr tracks and i think thats the oldest he has done. TDX is 3-5 hrs so i have veen trying to prep him for as old as it might be.

Due to heat I have been strongly considering laying a track late in the evening and running it first thing in the morning so he can get a good aged track when it is still cool enough to work. I have not done it yet.

We have been focusing on cross tracks and getting the age right so he learns to disti guish what it will be for the test. His first cross track threw him because my track was too old too soon to go along with the cross track and so i backed it up where mine was 3 hrs and he has done great, so I will now incrementally increase my track back to 5.

I've heard after 3 it isn't that different to the dog.

Mine seemed to do better on older tracks with taller cover, I think the taller grass maybe traps more scent. So I take into account the weather, the height of the grass or other cover, and how that effects difficulty, when I decide how long to age that day so it is in line with wgatbi think he will be successful with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not sure what's going on with her, but I had a chance to age the track today. I waited 15 minutes. She was very sloppy. Don't know if it was the wind or what. I just kind of figured it was the time?

So maybe adding up to 10 minutes to start and increasing as she gets better?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdluvr View Post
Not sure what's going on with her, but I had a chance to age the track today. I waited 15 minutes. She was very sloppy. Don't know if it was the wind or what. I just kind of figured it was the time?

So maybe adding up to 10 minutes to start and increasing as she gets better?
I would consider other factors like grass height, temp, moisture, wind speed and direction, and see if something else made it much harder. i wouldnt expect 15 mins to made a big difference but if youve only ever done it one way then a change can throw them. If there was another big factor like wind I'd try the same age with no wind and see what happens. But yeah if the dog is struggling keep going backwards to the place where they did well and then move forward in smaller increments is usually my go-to

I tracked for my first two months or something and he was really doing it and doing his first turns and generally thought we were doing awesome, then they mowed the fields down and he was lost for one or two sessions. Then he bounced right back.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes. Kind of disappointing. i thought we were ready for our TR-1 pretty soon. I guess not.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

they have off days. If you are going to age it more, take a step back and put down more food. Change of conditions such as tire tracks? more food. When you up the game, you hve to put down more food to make them successful.
gsdluvr and Femfa like this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

Something else to remember about having not let your tracks age, the routine of not waiting for her. Waiting now is going to throw her off a little.
Jax08, gsdluvr and Femfa like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

I started putting the line under Seger's back leg today. He wouldn't start the track. That change made him question if he was correct in going forward. and then the first leg of the first track was crap because he was unsure at the start.
gsdluvr likes this.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Something else to remember about having not let your tracks age, the routine of not waiting for her. Waiting now is going to throw her off a little.
YES!! It's weird! I was just now thinking that too! She is used to getting to work faster!! And i DID notice much more anxiety when we finally got to the start. Super impatient!

Usually, I take her out of the car and walk to the flag nicely..LOL!

Today, I took her out and walked around did some OB and sat down to wait. Far from our usual routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page