Nosework sport vs IPO tracking - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Nosework sport vs IPO tracking

Has anyone here ever tried training for both IPO tracking and the sport of nosework? Either in the same period or in sequence? Anyone here familiar with nosework? I am familiar with IPO tracking and AKC tracking and I know that it is not recommended to do both at the same time but to do IPO first, then AKC. Anyone see any potential conflicts in training between IPO and the sport of nosework?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Knighted Member

I just finished a basic nosework course, and have entered a trial that will take place in July. I am also preparing my dog for her IP01. I don't see any reason why you can't do both!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:39 AM

I actually did see some bleed over that affected my tracking.

We did scent detection for 2 years, both classes and trialing.

Then started back up with IPO. My dog decided that looking for the articles meant not having to keep her nose down or deep. At the flag I could see her scanning the immediate area for the articles with her nose then sorta just rushing the track. The article became more important than the actual track.

We worked it out but it was annoying.

Personally, I won't do that with my other dogs. I'll concentrate on one type of "nose activity" at a time.

We also did rally and obedience while doing IPO but had no issues since I didn't have two different expectations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 AM
Crowned Member

As long as you teach IPO style first and use different commands, there shouldn't be an issue. I would not even attempt housework until the IPO tracking was super solid
Genalis_mom likes this.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
As long as you teach IPO style first and use different commands, there shouldn't be an issue. I would not even attempt housework until the IPO tracking was super solid
Yeah, I wouldn't either. I think the wife ends up picking up after me even if I'm not tracking, but I may borrow this excuse anyway. I'm generally one thing at a time too, but I do let my dogs hunt for things on a release just for fun. All the cues and setup are so different that I don't notice a conflict with that. Something else formal though, I probably wouldn't.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Knighted Member

I taught my first GSD nosework before I started IPO style tracking with him. In his case, starting nosework had zero impact on how he tracks. I use different equipment for each activity, and when we started tracking, I made sure he understood that he was to keep his nose to the track. He does really well with both activities. I taught my second GSD nosework after she had already learned IPO tracking. Again, I use different equipment for each activity. I have seen no problems with her tracking now that she also does nosework. I have never attempted to start both activities at the same time, and I don’t think I would. But once they have a good grasp on one, I see no problem starting the other.
Jax08 and Shepdad like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't either. I think the wife ends up picking up after me even if I'm not tracking, but I may borrow this excuse anyway. I'm generally one thing at a time too, but I do let my dogs hunt for things on a release just for fun. All the cues and setup are so different that I don't notice a conflict with that. Something else formal though, I probably wouldn't.
I think autocorrect had a Freudian slip. It knows me so well!!
Sunsilver and Shepdad like this.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Elite Member

Nah, no housework for me either until IPO tracking is solid. No nosework either.

If IPO is the goal, keep it at the forefront, and any other titles can happen after IPO. I'm sure it can be done, I just think IPO is challenging enough on its own, and is a young dog's sport for the most part, so get your titles and then dabble in other stuff.
Jax08 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

I used to think I was seeing more women training IPO then men because they were just better at it. This is a new angle I hadn't considered.
Jax08 and Femfa like this.

Doc

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Since I wasn't familiar with nosework, I just thought that housework was training nosework routines at home.
Synne likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page