Schutzhund training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cliffson1
  • 1 Post By Bentwings1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Schutzhund training

Afternoon, I have a year old GSD that is trained in obedience and has a strong prey drive. She already naturally love to work and I would love to start Schutzhund with her. My only concern is that is it too late to start bite working? Most videos some then training their dogs on bite work at very young age. She comes from a great bloodline that is used for herding so generics is not a concern. Thanks

Last edited by Castlemaid; 06-22-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling of Schutzhund
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:06 AM
Master Member

I think that any dog can be taught Schutzhund no matter the age, but it gets harder and harder as time goes on. Some of the way more experienced members will come along and give you much more advice than I can. Good luck!

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice. I definitely understand that the older she gets but she just turned a year old so she’s still a young pup. The little practice I have done with bite work she has done very well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

No, it's not to late. I would say she's just the right age to start.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If she has the drives to do IPO/schH then 1 year is not too old. I didn't start the first dog I titled in protection until she was 2.5. It did take awhile for her to learn to come through the bite on the long bite, but it came. I had been tracking her and she had her BH and CD (AKC companion dog obedience title) before I started protection.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 05:45 PM

1 year old, no problem. The hardest part is finding a good club to work with. When you make your first visit go without your dog so that you can watch and chat with the members.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

A good age to start but Iíve seen four,five, even six year old dogs start out and be successful.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 PM

I think itís a good age to start. No jumps yet let him grow to a young adult. You will spend a lot of time tracking. There is plenty of tough obedience. The retrieves are a lot harder than you might think, but no jumps yet, get the retrieve on the flat perfect first while the dog grows.
You can do some protection basics. After you have worked tracking and obedience on a Sat. The brief protection work is a good way to relieve stress in the dog. While you do this you can begin working an out too. It will make the protection work easier in the end.

Having been in sports most of my life, I was taught to train for the end result. In this case just because you can do the BH obedience doesnít mean you canít continue on to the SCH I and further. When trial time comes the dog will be very sharp on the basics. In other words look ahead and gear your training accordingly.

Byron
tim_s_adams likes this.

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page