Never done ipo and had a question about my dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Slamdunc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Never done ipo and had a question about my dog

I have a MWD i adopted one month ago. She is a very high drive GSD that was trained for explosive detection and deployed once then was retired and sent to the Texas dps but she failed the drug detection training. I had an opportunity to talk to one of the Tx dps trainers and he said that she would also shut down with harsh corrections and apparently she would find the drug scent but not paw at the object. she would only sit down at the object. He said that can be common with dogs from explosives backgrounds.

So my question stems from Im not sure what she experienced on deployment and cant find that info out. Im a combat vet and had mild ptsd on returning and i dont want to do an activity that stresses her out too much.

My girl is 3.5years old and with chase a ball all day long. Ive personally had an interest in ipo but ive never done it with my previous gsds. So I dont know what to expect, but i was looking for activities to do with her.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Handler sensitive is a different issue than weak nerves. My boy is handler sensitive. Harsh correction FROM ME and we can just go home. It does not affect his working ability and we're trailing for our 3 in a couple of weeks then planning on regionals.

Sooooo...go for it! Everyone has a first dog to learn from.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Btw...in tracking, they are not allowed to touch the article but the can indicate by sitting or downing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnavydoc View Post
I have a MWD i adopted one month ago. She is a very high drive GSD that was trained for explosive detection and deployed once then was retired and sent to the Texas dps but she failed the drug detection training. I had an opportunity to talk to one of the Tx dps trainers and he said that she would also shut down with harsh corrections and apparently she would find the drug scent but not paw at the object. she would only sit down at the object. He said that can be common with dogs from explosives backgrounds.

So my question stems from Im not sure what she experienced on deployment and cant find that info out. Im a combat vet and had mild ptsd on returning and i dont want to do an activity that stresses her out too much.

My girl is 3.5years old and with chase a ball all day long. Ive personally had an interest in ipo but ive never done it with my previous gsds. So I dont know what to expect, but i was looking for activities to do with her.

Thanks
What ever happened to her in the past is what it is. She may not be a candidate for IPO protection work, but should be able to do tracking and obedience. Agility or canine nose work would be good activities.

It doesn't make sense to me that she would be given "harsh corrections" doing detection work. Also, it is really odd to try and retrain an explosives detection dog for narcotics. Unless, she was working in a jail and there was no need for PC for a search. Also, a narcotics dog does not need to "paw" at a narcotics find, a passive response of sitting is perfectly fine. That training sounds a little odd to me.

I think this dog is lucky to have found you.
Jax08 and CometDog like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page