New to IPO - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

New to IPO

Hello everyone. I’m new to IPO training, and have a 12 month old German Shepherd. His line has some working titles in it, and I thought it would be good to get him started in it. He’s very obedient, but has a high drive to play outside so I have a hard time getting his attention to heel. But other than that he is pretty good with obedience training.

I have never had him trained by a professional, nor have I joined a club. Partly because I’m from southern Illinois and there doesn’t seem to be too many clubs around. But I want to join a Schutzhund or GSD club to get him started.

Just thought I’d post here to get some information from you guys! Is he too old? Are there clubs near my area? Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

No, he is not to old. Look on germanshepherddog.com for a list of USCA clubs. You can look for DVG clubs too.I'm
car2ner likes this.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Not too old. If he has the drives and you have the time, I'd say go for it. Even if all you earn is the BH you've learned a lot about your dog. If you two enjoy it you can keep busy with it for a long time. When you do find a club make sure it is one you enjoy hanging out at because you'll be spending a great deal of time there.
Femfa likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Not too old at all. If he has the temperament and drives, he can do it. Find a club, get him evaluated and go from there. Learn all you can with him and enjoy the journey.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:08 PM

If I have a dog who doesn't have the temperament for protection work, is it acceptable or make sense to pursue BH? Like the original poster here, I am a complete newbie, but very interested in doing more with our dog.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

In many clubs, yes. Everyone has a "first" dog.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjosedale View Post
If I have a dog who doesn't have the temperament for protection work, is it acceptable or make sense to pursue BH? Like the original poster here, I am a complete newbie, but very interested in doing more with our dog.

Then Weston would be a great choice for you.

Placer would be one of the closer clubs for you, but when I would go they didn't do any sort of group obedience. It was just open field and you were on your own to learn. They have had a lot of changes lately, but I have stopped training there.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

I always encourage everyone to go as far as they can with their first dog. Even if itÂ’s just obedience. YouÂ’ll learn a lot that way. Good dogs are easy lol. The hard, difficult dogs is where you learn how to train and handle. Plus the more trial experience you get, the better you become. Learning how to handle a trial field is a skill in itself.
Femfa and Tennessee like this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 PM

The old school Germans would tell you that they don't bother training a dog hardly at all till it hits 2-3 years old. They do some basic stuff and work the dog of course. But they "let the dog be a dog" till it's mature and they really know what they have to work with. If I'm not mistaken 1-2 is when most police/military training begins as well.

Point being: No, a year old is not too old to start working for him and learning for you. If you think you're way behind the curve based on the youtube heroes, I ask you to show me what titles or real world accomplishments their dogs have now. (hint: the answer is almost always none).

Good luck & have fun!
Femfa likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I started SchH/IPO with a 2 year old rescue mixed breed. She had spent the first year of her life as a tied dog: within a few months after starting with my club, we got our BH. When I started, I didn't think I'd ever get 50 paces of focused heeling out of her on leash, let alone off leash. She surprised me at how much she was able to do, and your dog may surprise you also.

For the focused heel, just keep working at it: it will take hours and hours of training to get it solid. Don't compare your dog to other dogs. Compare him to the progress you two are making.

Even if your dog isn't fully suited to the work, you learn so much, and the training can only benefit the two of you.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page