Working Puppies! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Working Puppies!

Hey all,

My IPO prospect is due to be born this week, so I've been thinking extra-intensely about puppy prep as an attempt to keep my mind occupied, lol. My current dog is a 2 year-old female GSD- she was my first German Shepherd, the first dog I owned on my own, and she had some pretty difficult issues to handle as someone new to the breed. We've spent the last two years learning and growing together, and I can honestly say she has made me a better, more patient trainer and handler. We compete in OB and Rally, and we are actually planning on trialing for her BH in a few weeks, as well as IPO Obedience and Tracking titles down the road. She wasn't meant to be anything more than a pet, but she has drive and potential, and we're going to take it as far as we can. However, this new pup is going to be my step up in terms of breeding and competing. He'll be a well bred Czech Working Line, and I want to make sure that I set him up from success from the beginning- something that my female unfortunately didn't have.

SO, tell me about your working puppies. What did you do with them that worked? What would you go back and change if you had the chance? What was most challenging and most rewarding? Was there anything specific you focused on in the early days? I'll take any and all information you guys have for me.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I would watch all his puppy videos.

MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzandel View Post
Hey all,

My IPO prospect is due to be born this week, so I've been thinking extra-intensely about puppy prep as an attempt to keep my mind occupied, lol. My current dog is a 2 year-old female GSD- she was my first German Shepherd, the first dog I owned on my own, and she had some pretty difficult issues to handle as someone new to the breed. We've spent the last two years learning and growing together, and I can honestly say she has made me a better, more patient trainer and handler. We compete in OB and Rally, and we are actually planning on trialing for her BH in a few weeks, as well as IPO Obedience and Tracking titles down the road. She wasn't meant to be anything more than a pet, but she has drive and potential, and we're going to take it as far as we can. However, this new pup is going to be my step up in terms of breeding and competing. He'll be a well bred Czech Working Line, and I want to make sure that I set him up from success from the beginning- something that my female unfortunately didn't have.

SO, tell me about your working puppies. What did you do with them that worked? What would you go back and change if you had the chance? What was most challenging and most rewarding? Was there anything specific you focused on in the early days? I'll take any and all information you guys have for me.
Let the puppy be a puppy. There is no rush. Everything is positive and fun.
Dont get overwhelmed. Utilize a crate, and bring the puppy everywhere for exposure

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 05:45 PM

whats the pedigree of the pup?
and congrats this is an exciting time!!
kenzandel likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

What I learned is to take it easy and not over-exercise them, no leashed walks the first few months besides short social trips in town, not too much focus on obedience but teaching them some rules of course. Lots of free movement in play but also downtime in their crate to install the off button and to allow them rest and growth. They have a lifetime of learning ahead of them. I am focused on showing him the world and have fun with him because next year he is a full size dog. And keeping them lean.
kenzandel likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 04-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
What I learned is to take it easy and not over-exercise them, no leashed walks the first few months besides short social trips in town, not too much focus on obedience but teaching them some rules of course. Lots of free movement in play but also downtime in their crate to install the off button and to allow them rest and growth. They have a lifetime of learning ahead of them. I am focused on showing him the world and have fun with him because next year he is a full size dog. And keeping them lean.
I disagree with the bolded. I think puppies should be a little softer due to the extreme growth spurts their bodies go through.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM

kenzandel likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
Thank you! I linked the pedigree below. Sire is Chris z Hane and Dam is Basha z Trvala Svoboda.

https://www.working-dog.com/breed/Weberhaus-132973
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I disagree with the bolded. I think puppies should be a little softer due to the extreme growth spurts their bodies go through.
I agree but they should not be too fat. I kept mine too thin, not intentionally, and ended up switching to a better food. He filled out nicely. There is a good weight for puppies. We have to find the right balance for each of our dogs.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

You picked a great breeder. Be ready for a real powerhouse pup. I would go to Leerburg.com and watch their free puppy videos, articles and Cindy's Q&A section. Maybe get some of Micheal Ellis's DVDs. I am on my 5th working puppy, 7th working dogs total. I still go to Leerburg for answers and own quit q few of Ellis's DVDs.
Femfa and kenzandel like this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page