Aggression incident today - still okay to train schutzhund with my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Aggression incident today - still okay to train schutzhund with my dog?

Hello,

Background::

I know not all dogs are cut out for schutzhund and I wanted to get this group's honest opinion if I should continue training Schutzhund with my dog (a 8.5 month WL GSD only been training for 2 weeks, brand new to the sport as am I).

I live in a city and have been taking my dog everywhere since I got him at 2 months. We have not had any aggression issues out in large crowds and I would consider him to be well socialized.

Today's Incident:

My dog can be very territorial of our house, or my personal space if we are in a remote area for an extended period of time. Today I was hiking with him off leash and we took a 10 minute breather to sit and relax. A non threatening old lady came up to us on the trail and he sprinted straight at them and started barking aggressively.

Question:

Is it a good idea to train protection work in a dog who exhibits these aggressive behaviors? I am new to the sport but don't want to continue if it has any risk of increasing these behaviors.

I only want to do schutzhund if it can help me get control of my dog in these scenarios without risk of increased aggression.

Thanks for your insight and opinions.

Last edited by coloradoshep18; 03-26-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

What does your club/helper think? He's young and maybe still learning who is a threat and who isn't. Schutzhund training should help with that.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 PM

IMO whatever sport you are training for is irrelevant.You need to work on his recall and try your utmost to catch him before or as soon as he alerts and give him something else to do(sit,down,or heel).The more he practices the unwanted behavior,the harder it becomes to unteach.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
What does your club/helper think? He's young and maybe still learning who is a threat and who isn't. Schutzhund training should help with that.
I havent had a chance to talk about this incident with them yet. However they seem happy to train my dog because he has great drive and is showing good progress for two weeks... I just dont know how selective they are about what dogs to train. I will inquire more this week.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoshep18 View Post
I havent had a chance to talk about this incident with them yet. However they seem happy to train my dog because he has great drive and is showing good progress for two weeks... I just dont know how selective they are about what dogs to train. I will inquire more this week.
The whole sport is obedience based, it should help train him to keep his focus on you unless he or you are presented with a threat. Unless he has a screw loose, he should figure out who's a threat and who isn't.
onyx'girl and CometDog like this.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
IMO whatever sport you are training for is irrelevant.You need to work on his recall and try your utmost to catch him before or as soon as he alerts and give him something else to do(sit,down,or heel).The more he practices the unwanted behavior,the harder it becomes to unteach.
Do you think e collar is appropriate for teaching off leash recall?
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:46 PM
Elite Member

^ i'm not dogma13 but have to say a resounding yes to the e collar, sure helped me with that.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
^ i'm not dogma13 but have to say a resounding yes to the e collar, sure helped me with that.
Ya i cant think of how else to proof the offleash recall... today i didnt have a split second to refocus his attention before he took off.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoshep18 View Post
Do you think e collar is appropriate for teaching off leash recall?
Only to proof it.He needs to understand the command thoroughly in different scenarios in and out of 'drive'.It just confuses the dog if he doesn't understand that the correction is for disobeying a command.When they get excited and amped up they tune everything else out.Hopefully your trainer can help you with this.Here's a pretty good overview on understanding e collar basics.http://k9handler.com/e-collar-basics/
ausdland and CometDog like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

Last edited by dogma13; 03-26-2018 at 11:59 PM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:05 AM

My girl did that like 2 days ago (and 1 week ago, and 1 month ago) and she's not involved in schutzhund at all.

I don't think schutzhund has anything to do with that at all. If anything, he will learn more obidience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page