Training help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GatorDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Training help!!

So I'm bringing home the pup tonight and just have a few questions if anyone can help. So I have been told to keep them apart mostly unless supervised for short amounts of time due to wanting to do the schutzhund training. I am planning on crating the pup while I'm at work, does that mean that I should not have the older dog in the same room as the pups crate while I'm at work? How soon until starting to train a few necessary things like sit stay etc? How soon until I can start taking him to a schutzhund club for training?

😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure about any of the other stuff but it's pretty much never too early to start working on the basic commands. Basically once his anxiety has gone down (prolly a couple days) it should be fine to start working on his name, sit, down etc.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM

get through his shots before you take him to the Sch club. I had my older dog in the room free while my pup was in the crate, but you really need to watch how your dogs behave together before you decide how best to set it up

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

I start taking my dogs to IPO right away. I don't allow much meet and greet with the other dogs, but most clubs are filled with responsible owners who vaccinate and don't pose a huge immediate risk to my puppies immunity, IME. Providing that this is an experienced club with good mentors, I would suggest that you get involved with the club right away and use their training style and advice to help imprint the puppy, rather than begin imprinting behaviors that may or may not be helpful to IPO training in the long run.

I also suggest crating them in separate areas while unattended, just to encourage the puppy to settle in the crate vs seek engagement from the other dog. I don't think they need to be kept exclusively separated otherwise, so long as the puppy is getting individual time dedicated to training and building the relationship with you.
lhczth likes this.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Go to Leerburg.com and read/watch free info on introducing puppies/dogs, and raising a working puppy. If you can, buy the Micheal Ellis dvds. I am on my 7th working puppy, and still go there to learn.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page