Get a new dog or retrain current dog?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By lhczth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Get a new dog or retrain current dog??

Quick question, would it be easier to train a puppy from scratch or retrain my current dog. I'm looking to go further in IPO.

My current dog is IPO3 titled but she is also my first working GSD. So me and her, we're both really error prone and lacked experience. It was a miracle but we somehow managed to scrape up enough points to pass every stage. But now I think with more experience under my belt I can probably retrain her to be better than she is now.

Also, I've been looking around for a new puppy but they're a little hard to come by now. I got a few leads, but at the earliest, I can only get one in 2019.

Alternatively, I could attempt to breed my dog and take a puppy from the litter.

Thoughts anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

How old is she? I would continue to clean up her training, continue to learn with her and keep trialing her.
onyx'girl likes this.

Last edited by Jax08; 02-24-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Work with her. If you get a new puppy, think about importing if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
How old is she? I would continue to clean up her training, continue to learn with her and keep trialing her.
She's 4 now. But how difficult is it to break old habits?? From young, I never really really did correct her much because my trainer says she was really "soft". Now at 4, she's the total opposite of what a soft dog is. Nothing breaks her at all. But should I retrain her from scratch or just attempt to refine her errors which is almost everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Work with her. If you get a new puppy, think about importing if you can.
Yeah, I am looking at Europe for my next dog. Searching through working-dog for some nice stud-female pairs. In particular, I'm looking at Hercules, Pepper, Bordy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Continue to work with the female you have either taking a lot of steps back or just refining what you already have. She is only 4. No reason to retire her yet. Meanwhile you can look into getting a puppy.
Jax08 likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

BTW, I train with Hercules' sister (absolutely LOVE her) and a Pepper son (extremely nice pup).

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

Work with her. I "rescued", purchased a really well bred female GSD when she was almost 3. She was out of the same male as my male GSD and was a super sweety. She had been treated not very nice in both training and life. It took a while to become a team, but she got her BH with comment about being one of the few happy dogs there. Didn't pursue her titles, as she was happy to love on everyone one until obedience was added to the mix. We were a super tracking team. I just tried to figure out new words to use for things I thought she had be taught before coming to me. And when you use shaping in marker based training, all you do is up your criteria before marking and giving the reward. Go slowly and be fair and she will understand.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Continue to work with the female you have either taking a lot of steps back or just refining what you already have. She is only 4. No reason to retire her yet. Meanwhile you can look into getting a puppy.
She's all over the place right now with obedience and protection. I can get her to do a focused heel, but her head wouldn't be up all the time and she doesn't walk straight, her butt sticks out. Her retrieve over the hurdle is weak and sometimes she knocks the frame while jumping over. In protection too, sometimes I don't feel her bite is full and hard.

I know I should have fixed these problems early on, but my trainer and I let them slide a little because she was my first working dog and we didn't want to break her. You think these problems are fixable at such an age?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbyte View Post
Work with her. I "rescued", purchased a really well bred female GSD when she was almost 3. She was out of the same male as my male GSD and was a super sweety. She had been treated not very nice in both training and life. It took a while to become a team, but she got her BH with comment about being one of the few happy dogs there. Didn't pursue her titles, as she was happy to love on everyone one until obedience was added to the mix. We were a super tracking team. I just tried to figure out new words to use for things I thought she had be taught before coming to me. And when you use shaping in marker based training, all you do is up your criteria before marking and giving the reward. Go slowly and be fair and she will understand.
Yeah, that was the problem I had, I let her off too many times. Of course, I wasn't so aware about making mistakes myself, but I guess they just snowballed. Gonna be a long journey to fix everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
BTW, I train with Hercules' sister (absolutely LOVE her) and a Pepper son (extremely nice pup).
In your opinion, which is the nicer dog??? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

All of the obedience is fixable. Maybe not to the perfection you want but you can reshape that and make it better AND LEARN from it.

I can't stress enough the importance of foundation. You train for the picture you want. Don't let it slide, find a way to fix that specific step and break it down if you need to.

As far as the bite, that is genetic. You might not fix that but the rest is fixable.

The jump - that is about training proper jump technique. That alone would be a huge thing to learn and fix so you don't do it with your second dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page