when to start in protection - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

when to start in protection

My back surgery was successful!!! I am confident that I can start my new pup in protection if he is up to it, which is likely. How old can you start with them? Are there any games you have to initiate or avoid in the early puppy weeks?
sebrench and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 08:44 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You can start drive building, self-control, and developing work ethic from the time they you bring your puppy home. Highly HIGHLY suggest you work with your club, they can coach you on how to play with your pup. You don't want to develop bad habits that will affect his bite and later on.

I know you have trained in Europe with some top obedience trainers, throw all that out the window! SchH/IPO will blow your mind in just how much more there is to know and learn. Most important thing for success is to have an open mind, and be ready to reformulate the way you think about training.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the tips!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I know you have trained in Europe with some top obedience trainers, throw all that out the window! SchH/IPO will blow your mind in just how much more there is to know and learn. Most important thing for success is to have an open mind, and be ready to reformulate the way you think about training.
I threw that out the window when I got WD! I have seen my breeder work with them and finally am at the point that I am ready for this. I started SchH in the 70's in Europe with a Bouvier mix and he did well except when the decoy used a stick. He was abused by people hitting him as pup with items (I know this for sure) so I had to drop out. That was it for us then. Then life happend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:11 AM

Are you a member of an IPO club?

You'll find that even in IPO/SchH training methods have changed tremendously from what it was back in the 70's.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:17 AM
Elite Member

Leerburg.com has some really great training DVDs on bitework and puppies. I am starting with my 4th pup that will do some type of protection, may even get this old lady back into a dog sport. And I still got the DVDs on starting you puppy and starting without a helper. I know I can only go so far without a good helper. They will also help you in spotting a good helper and knowing when your pup is being pushed in a not so good direction. Have fun!

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Are you a member of an IPO club?

You'll find that even in IPO/SchH training methods have changed tremendously from what it was back in the 70's.
I have to ask the breeder who trains them for law enforcement and as service dogs. I never looked into it until now.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Have fun with your pup! Focus on engagement training. A dog with good genetics can do zip as far as protection training/drive building goes, and then be a star on the field when started as a young green dog. Many trainers feel it is better to wait for a pup to mature before introducing bite-work, but it's just so much fun to tug with them and see them chase and "kill" the rag when they are pups.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, I love tug with a pup. It makes them so confident and they look so cute when prancing away with their kill. Then look back why I don't chase them so they decide to return to this idiot species of a human for more fun (Hey, do you realize you are fetching, little guy?!)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 01:39 PM

and congrats on recovering from back surgery!

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
and congrats on recovering from back surgery!
Thanks. I got my life back. I will start another thread for those of you who are dealing with back issues,

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page