Difference between IPO 1, 2, and 3? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Difference between IPO 1, 2, and 3?

Hello everyone. I am wondering what exactly is the difference between IPO 1,2 and 3? Forgive my ignorance. I have tried google searching this and tried key words in the forums, but I am not finding a clear answer outlining what it takes to achieve each of these titles.

Also, if I am mostly interested in obedience and tracking, but not protection, is it worth it to pursue IPO? Or should I look into specific obedience and tracking titles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

From this article, it seems to be a matter of difficulty as IPO 1,2, 3 all have the phases of obedience, tracking, and protection.

What is Schutzhund and IPO?

Since you are not interested in protection and protection is from what I understand one of the components of each IPO title, I would think that the AKC obedience and tracking titles would be better to pursue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:55 PM
HHH

What is AKC? Here we have something called SL 1, 2, 3 (BSL) which is the same tracking and obedience as IPO, but no protection. Is it the same as AKC?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Master Member

BH is tracking and obedience. It's the precursor to ipo 1. IPO 1,2, and 3 are all 3 phases - obedience, tracking, and protection. As another use mentioned the difference is in the difficulty.

If you have no interest in protection you could do the BH and akc obedience events. There's other sports that don't involve protection as well.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelifeGSD View Post
Hello everyone. I am wondering what exactly is the difference between IPO 1,2 and 3? Forgive my ignorance. I have tried google searching this and tried key words in the forums, but I am not finding a clear answer outlining what it takes to achieve each of these titles.

Also, if I am mostly interested in obedience and tracking, but not protection, is it worth it to pursue IPO? Or should I look into specific obedience and tracking titles?
You can get titles in IPO that does not include protection. It used to be called a Schutzhund A instead of 1, 2, 3. There are still some dogs you see that have that title.
Nowadays, please see the link http://www.usrconline.org/regulation...-variances.pdf

The main reason to join an IPO club even if you do not train for the C phase is because you will be surrounded by people who are familiar with European line dogs (show or work), and how to train them. Depending on the location and club, AKC clubs may have more people with American line dogs and fewer people with GSDs that have working line temperament. I know folks who have titles from both IPO and AKC trials. It's all good.

Last edited by Shepdad; 12-25-2017 at 06:36 PM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
BH is tracking and obedience. It's the precursor to ipo 1. IPO 1,2, and 3 are all 3 phases - obedience, tracking, and protection. As another use mentioned the difference is in the difficulty.

If you have no interest in protection you could do the BH and akc obedience events. There's other sports that don't involve protection as well.
BH is obedience and temperament. No tracking.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakelifeGSD View Post

I train for obedience and tracking and do competitions in a few different venues. I don't do IPO. We do AKC Tracking, and he has his AKC Tracking Dog title-- it's fun and most AKC Tracking clubs do a spring clinic for beginners so you could look for one if you wanted to do that.

I've been doing rally for a few years and entered first formal obedience trial in Feb! Also dock diving is a blast.

I didn't want to do protection either but from a logistics standpoint there are way more places to train, way closer, in various AKC sports than IPO, which I'd have to drive many hours to get to.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH View Post
What is AKC? Here we have something called SL 1, 2, 3 (BSL) which is the same tracking and obedience as IPO, but no protection. Is it the same as AKC?
AKC is simply the abbreviation for the American Kennel Club.
HHH likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

Once you get your BH you can title in just tracking and obedience, if the host club of the trial offers them. I may do that with my Dutch Shepherd.
Shepdad likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Look on the USCA website for the rules and it will explain each phase with each exercise.

BH - is a temperament test. It tests the dog's obedience and there is a temperament portion with traffic, other dogs, bikes, people, etc.

The IPO titles increase in difficulty for each level. These will change in 2019.

There are several different titles you can earn thru IPO. Tracking, obedience, full IPO titles, there are search titles (can't remember the name of them).

If you want to train in IPO, don't let people discourage you because you don't want to do protection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in