Apollo likes the sleeve. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By cdwoodcox

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Apollo likes the sleeve.

What is the best part of having a German Shepherd pet that doesn't quite have the nerves to do SCH. He makes a really good practice dog for doing escapes and reattacks. He has plenty of obedience and drive to work with me in the backyard. Kind of like obedibites. And I get to work on my fundamentals and not worry about conflict or ruining a SCH dog. Plus he has a blast.
Attached Images

Aly, dogma13, Femfa and 1 others like this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Master Member

Good looking dog and good for you looking on the bright side of things. Is he a young ddr cross?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

He has some ddr in his pedigree. But it seems to be all over the place really.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 PM

that's a great attitude. Both of my dogs are Sch washouts. My boy gets too hot for summer training and my gal just doesn't have the confidence she needs to excel. But we still use the routines and skills of IPO at home and enjoy the heck out of it.

I kinda like your term Obedibites. almost sounds like a breakfast cereal.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
that's a great attitude. Both of my dogs are Sch washouts. My boy gets too hot for summer training and my gal just doesn't have the confidence she needs to excel. But we still use the routines and skills of IPO at home and enjoy the heck out of it.

I kinda like your term Obedibites. almost sounds like a breakfast cereal.
Apollo lacks confidence also. But he's still drivey and likes to work. Just not over the top like Athena. He knows what happens when I take the dogs outside to train and is always there waiting for his turn. So I work him at home on the same stuff I work Athena and Rosko on.
If I am being honest, I have probably learned more about training from training Apollo than I have training Athena and Rosko combined. I have to keep my cool or he will shut down. Doesn't respond well to harsh corrections either verbal or physical. Have to use a lot of praise and be very animated. But I think because he isn't so out of his head drivey that when he learns something he is able to retain it a little quicker. He requires less repititions to know something.
The term obedibites is a word my club director uses. Athena is at a stage in her protection work where we have to transition from a dog at the end of a long line going nuts to a dog that can keep her wits and heel and focus on me and follow commands. So I started out having my boy use less stimulating things at home. She would heel I would say get it she gets to get it. Then we went to a non decoy club member with a wedge while I would heel her around and either down or release for a bite. Hence the term obedibites. And eventually a decoy with a sleeve.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 AM

oh yes, I know that phase. That is where we were with my boy when the heat and humidity of summer hit. He had learned the obedience we were expecting of him and the next step was to keep reinforcing it. We weren't anywhere near the proofing stage.

I also understand the idea that you can learn so much more from playing in the yard. Taking the pressure off can make a difference. Since I feel differently on the field than in our yard, I am sure that is part of the reason my gal balks at the club while she flies high at home

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page