schutzhund protection training books? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

schutzhund protection training books?

hi guys

I was was wondering if anyone could recommend any good books on schutzhund.
thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:00 PM

There was a book by Susan Barwig many years ago. Probably only available at the library or old book store. The sport has changed a lot since then but the basics are there.

Here is Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Schutzhund-Tr.../dp/1630260401

These will give you the basics. Exactly what the judges are looking for will probably be best obtained from a Schutzhund club.

Here is the ruling organization in the USA. You can look up clubs in your area. Here . I think you need to be a member to get very far on the website. In order to enter trials you need a score book from the USA

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/

Tron GSD SCH III, AD, TD. Never to be forgotten buddy
SCH III Club

Samantha, Australian Shepherd, rescued , loves everyone

Last edited by Bentwings1; 10-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Schutzhund Obedience: Training in Drive by Sheila Booth is the one I have.

I like it a lot, she does a good job of providing definitions for principles then emphasizing them throughout the book. Helped me really understand the underlying formula for training a dog, and thus what each specific action was accomplishing.
Bella99 likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:08 PM

I forgot about that one. It's a good one too.

The sport is very difficult and time consuming and it can be disappointing if the dog proves to be not capable. For example at about a year and a half you should have the dog X rayed for hip and elbow dysphasia. He should be at least "fair" or he probably won't be able to survive the training. Not that it's abusive but there are jumps and the protection work requires a solid structure.

I can post my recollection of my training schedule if y'all are interested.

Byron
Bella99 likes this.

SCH III Club

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Ahh thank you for this recommendation I will order this book now. I am trying to get as much information as possible on this sport as I plan to do it with a future pup and want to go into the sport with some good understanding of it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

As far as protection, this book and this article are good reads:
https://www.amazon.com/Schutzhund-Pr.../dp/B0012H7B70

https://www.germanshepherddog.com/wp...te-Updated.pdf
Bella99 likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 PM

All good suggestions, I have all of those books. Ivan Balabanov has a good book as well.
Bella99 likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the help. Now can just anyone go to a Club and watch to see how it is there?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Master Member

Your best bet would be to try and find some local clubs and contacting the club's training director to see if you could come watch. Clubs can be a weird thing...some are not interested in new people and very exclusive while others may be a lot more open and welcoming to new potential members. I bought a bunch of books for the sport when I first started and maybe it's just the way I learn but they didnt help much, nothing compares to seeing it in real life for me. Good luck in your search
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 AM

I agree with Astrovan. Try to get to local clubs. As was noted not all clubs are particularly friendly. I think this comes from the extremely high turnover rate. Many people come out and think it's an 8 week training session and you are ready for the trial which passing is more or less a given. ROTFLMAO. It may take 8 weeks just to get you and your dog evaluated.

From my engineering careerI like to stand in the background and observe what is going on. My favorite thing is to ask questions that I already know the answer thus I can evaluate the operation. I usually respond like a sponge and just soak it up. It's easy to separate the blowhards from the knowledgeable. You are going to be paying for help and guidance in the sport so try to get The best you can.

Just as with standard dog training classes, some clubs/trainers will take you step by step teaching as you go. Others go at as a group and you are expected to practice on your own. It's hard to find others who can or will help you at home. You need to explain what you want to do so you can have good control of the exercises. The really good dogs can work with distractions early on but some dogs simply need a little help. .

Remember you have three distinct events to work on, each take skills on your part and the dog. It's good to get a background reading all the books you can. Do be aware that the sport has changed from the early days and today's training methods can be radically different from those noted in the books. This training is very individualistic for the dog. The events are the same across the board and test the internal workings of the dog. If these traits are not there or weak the dog will fail. It's up to you to bring them out and maximize them.

By all means go to any seminars you can. These are not heavily advertised so contact with a club is a place for good information. The USA occasionally has seminar postings but I think you have to be a member to view them.

A well trained Sch or IPO dog is a real joy to own especially at the advanced level.
dogbyte and astrovan2487 like this.

SCH III Club

Last edited by Bentwings1; 10-09-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page