Using bite tugs with treats inside or smell with food to increase bite intensity - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Using bite tugs with treats inside or smell with food to increase bite intensity

Has anybody here had success with those bite tugs where you can put treats inside to increase the intensity of the bite? I know Leerburg sells them. I was curious if this is something that would cause the dog to become reliant on the smell to bite hard or would it help encourage the self-reinforcing behavior of biting harder?

On a side note, I have a friend who is trying to get the dog interested in tug (little toy drive). I was wondering if would be possible to motivate the dog to play tug using markers with treats using shaping to get the dog interested in biting a tug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:28 AM
Crowned Member

I would sincerely advise you to get under the tutelage of a mentor or training director in a club to pursue what you are asking. These things vary so much depending on the dog, the equipment, and the approach, it's far to complicated to explain on a forum without a greater chance of no progress or little progress than success. Remember, no training is better than bad or unsure training.
lhczth, Slamdunc, Jax08 and 4 others like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

You encourage a dog to bite a tug harder by using a leather tug that you can slip out of his mouth and win from him a little more easily. A lot of people use jute and because the dogs teeth can go into the holes they can hold on more easily without really having to clamp down and that is crap. It is the potential to lose the tug that gets a dog to clamp down. This can be overdone.

When I see people have dogs that don't want to play tug it comes down to two reasons. 1. They just don't have the right dog for the game or 2. The humans don't know how to play the game properly and the dog is turned off of the game for that reason.

Cliffson is basically right though. The forum won't really be able to help you with this issue except to point you in the direction of someone who might be able to help.

The treat tug is barking up the wrong tree though. It is available but it is a bad approach. Getting a dog with a little bit of prey drive addicted to playing the game is an art form and treat training isn't part of it.
Slamdunc, mycobraracr and Wolfhund like this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

I didn't even know they made those.

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I didn't even know they made those.
Yup!

Treat Tug
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I would sincerely advise you to get under the tutelage of a mentor or training director in a club to pursue what you are asking. These things vary so much depending on the dog, the equipment, and the approach, it's far to complicated to explain on a forum without a greater chance of no progress or little progress than success. Remember, no training is better than bad or unsure training.
Yes, I do get advice from the clubs. What's the point of a forum if you can't ask questions? lol Most trainers in the Ring Sports have never heard of a treat tug. I just saw one on Leerburg for the first time a few days ago.

I look at forums to bounce off training ideas, not receive condescending responses like this.
Slamdunc likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhund View Post
Yes, I do get advice from the clubs. What's the point of a forum if you can't ask questions? lol Most trainers in the Ring Sports have never heard of a treat tug. I just saw one on Leerburg for the first time a few days ago.

I look at forums to bounce off training ideas, not receive condescending responses like this.
No problem, good luck!
I agree about forums being good...and when I see that the people on this forum that KNOW how to do what you're asking agreeing with me, I guess it's up to individual on HOW to benefit from forum.

Last edited by cliffson1; 09-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have never heard of these. Grip is genetic in the GSD. Fullness comes from prey. The hardness and power from aggression (from either prey aggression or fight drive). It is all genetic. Yes, I am simplifying things so don't everyone freak out. You aren't going to create a hard grip with a toy (though as someone said earlier, the leather is good for when a young dog is lazy).

As far as your friend's dog. See if he can get the dog to fight with him on the tug. Deja had little toy drive as a young dog. She did like to fight with me which I was able to transfer to a toy. In protection she never would "play" with a helper. No pillows or rags and had no interest until she could actually, in her mind, bite the guy and fight with him.
mycobraracr and Wolfhund like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhund View Post

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
As far as your friend's dog. See if he can get the dog to fight with him on the tug. Deja had little toy drive as a young dog. She did like to fight with me which I was able to transfer to a toy. In protection she never would "play" with a helper. No pillows or rags and had no interest until she could actually, in her mind, bite the guy and fight with him.
When you say fight, do you mean bringing the dog into defensive drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page