Advice on getting my dog titled/ipo - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Advice on getting my dog titled/ipo

I know nothing about this. I have done lessons with my dog for obedience and we have started protection work. She's done 4 lessons on protection work and she loves it and I am told that she's a natural at it (breeding of course)

My question is I only have about an hour to hour and a half to do work with her. Is that enough? What's the time it takes to get her titled? Is it even realistic for someone who has limited time right now to attempt. I would be ok with her simply passing.
Here's a couple videos of her doing her protection work

Any advice would be great. We don't want to waste her talent since she loves it. Just trying to understand more of the time and commitment to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Master Member

You need a BH first. Are you a member of a club? That should give you an idea on the time commitment. An hour and a half what? Each day, week, etc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
You need a BH first. Are you a member of a club? That should give you an idea on the time commitment. An hour and a half what? Each day, week, etc.

I have that time everyday or at least 5 days.
I am not a member of a club. I have been doing private lessons with her trainer. The trainer is also her dad's trainer. Ace Vom Haus Tyson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Master Member

Depends on your dog if 1.5 hrs a day is enough. Before she can attempt her IPO1 she'll need a bh. There's a lot more to it than just biting a sleeve tho. Do you have any longer videos of her in action, including obedience? The clubs are probably better than a trainer in this instance because you'll work with people who are ahead of you and have already done these things so they can advise you on routes and what the judges want to see etc.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Advice on getting my dog titled/ipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Depends on your dog if 1.5 hrs a day is enough. Before she can attempt her IPO1 she'll need a bh. There's a lot more to it than just biting a sleeve tho. Do you have any longer videos of her in action, including obedience? The clubs are probably better than a trainer in this instance because you'll work with people who are ahead of you and have already done these things so they can advise you on routes and what the judges want to see etc.

I'm in the Bay Area. Closer to Sacramento What's near me?
I don't have videos but she's good with her sit. Stay. Release. Come. Heel. Eye contact. Heeling and partial focus heeling but haven't really tried to work focus heeling too much.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Master Member

I'm in FL so I don't have any recommendations on clubs near you. Im sure there's plenty and someone may chime in with a recommendation there. If you're really confident that she can pass, then some clubs will allow you to be a paper only member and that's all you need for the trial, as far as I know. But I'd highly suggest working with a club prior to it to see if she's really ready for it. The BH doesn't include any protection work. Just obedience. You can find the heel pattern online which tells you the route and when you'll give the various commands. At the very least I'd say work that in a big field somewhere so you know the route and can evaluate her performance
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Knighted Member

An hour and a half a day is plenty of time to eventually title your dog. How many times a week are you meeting with your trainer? Club days are usually long, but it would be beneficial for you to find a club and go, if your schedule permits. It will let you observe what other handlers/dogs are doing, as well as get other eyes on what you and your dog are doing. Titling a dog, when it is your first one, can take a while. But if you and your dog are enjoying the work, who cares how long it takes? In the end, the relationship you build with your dog means more than the title ever will. Good luck to you!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
An hour and a half a day is plenty of time to eventually title your dog. How many times a week are you meeting with your trainer? Club days are usually long, but it would be beneficial for you to find a club and go, if your schedule permits. It will let you observe what other handlers/dogs are doing, as well as get other eyes on what you and your dog are doing. Titling a dog, when it is your first one, can take a while. But if you and your dog are enjoying the work, who cares how long it takes? In the end, the relationship you build with your dog means more than the title ever will. Good luck to you!

Thank you.
I meet with the trainer every other week.
It really adds up if I go every week. Almost $50 a session. So I try and do as much as I can on my own.
We just started the protection part of it.
Next I think is tracking and more obedience.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 PM
Crowned Member

So you're training with Tim? What does he say? He's a great trainer. Follow his plan.
GypsyGhost likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
So you're training with Tim? What does he say? He's a great trainer. Follow his plan.

Says she's reckless in a good way and she catches on quick.
He told me i should put in the time and I want to. However I also want to do it but not sure if I can pay for so many lessons.
I would want to maybe start advancing on my own but I'm also running out of things I can teach her and me checking if I'm doing things correctly. The last thing I want is teach her something wrong.
mycobraracr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page