• 5 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

a reminder,

I just saw this thread...very good insight
https://thecognitivecanine.com/2016/...-not-machines/
dogfaeries, Deb, farnln and 2 others like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:00 AM
Crowned Member

Part of the joy of having dogs is letting them be dogs.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 AM
Knighted Member

That message is priceless! Thank you so much for sharing it...and even more for reminding us all to remember it!

I've always felt that the connection with the dog is primary...but I couldn't hope to put it that eloquently!
car2ner likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
That message is priceless! Thank you so much for sharing it...and even more for reminding us all to remember it!

I've always felt that the connection with the dog is primary...but I couldn't hope to put it that eloquently!

Exactly, there are some of us who are good writers and this blogger stated it wonderfully. I had this in mind the other day when I was working with my big boy. Did we have perfect timing and positioning, no way. Were we working towards it, yes...well mostly my technique more than his. Did we have fun, I know I did and it looks like he did, too.

I also agree that operant / classical conditioning are valid but our dogs are not conditioned robots.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

Loved this article. I changed my expectations for my dogs after reading 'Merle's Door'. This article basically wraps up what this book is all about.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Loved this article. I changed my expectations for my dogs after reading 'Merle's Door'. This article basically wraps up what this book is all about.
I loved Merle's Door but I did find the ending a bit over done. I would not have let Merle go through all of that personally. And all though I no longer live in an area where I can let my dogs come and go as they please, it was still nice to enjoy the adventures, especially where the author spoke for the dog...and the dog's laugh. I listened to this story as an audio book so it was quite amusing.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:30 PM

I like that article alot, good stuff.

What she's describing sounds a heck of a lot like old school hunting dog training. Not exactly my preferred method for training.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Elite Member

Loved the article. It just validated my reason for letting my boy just sniff and zigzag while I try to be as undisturbing as possible. At least for 1/2 the time we are at the town park. He loves this park and I'm convinced it's the reason why. Interesting enough the best first loose leash walk I ever had with him way back when, when he was still learning was after about 30-45 mins of just following him around. No talking no pressure on the leash.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page