• 1 Post By Femfa
  • 1 Post By Slamdunc
  • 1 Post By Pirates Lair
  • 1 Post By Anubis_Star

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Training in boots?

Berlin's nails have always flaked, and he's broken more than I would expect over the years, especially doing obstacles like the A-frame. This last week he broke 5 separate nails and we're suspecting SLO, an auto-immune condition that affects the nails and causes them to break and is a lifelong condition.

Im considering buying him boots to train in. Anyone train in boots and did it seem to hinder the training outside of the initial "what the **** is on my foot????" phase? He handles full foot bandages fine and has trained with individual paws bandaged so I dont see that being a big issue.

Also, if we do train in boots to protect his nails, can he compete in club level trials with boots on? We're DVG members. I would hate to pamper his feet only to have nails break the week before a trial as we try to get use to not wearing them.

Thank you!

Btw i would likely buy the ruffwear grip trex
http://www.ruffwear.com/Grip-Trex-Do...=2&category=11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170806_000230-1_1502159292032.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	437178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170806_000258-1_1502159307628.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	437186  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Master Member

I actually wonder if you could talk to your vet about the possibility of getting the silicone nail covers sized up for GSD's. It might help with the integrity of the nail and protect them without being a total hindrance.

ETA: You might not even need to discuss it with the vet - here's a look at what I'm talking about http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=1408
Slamdunc likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin

Last edited by Femfa; 08-08-2017 at 01:07 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:24 AM

DO those nails need to be trimmed? They look a little long from the picture. We have boots for our work dogs and rarely use them. The dogs need to spend a lot of time in them to get acclimated and relax in them. If the dog is running like in IPO the boots will probably fall off. One of our guys was looking to use them for vehicle searches to avoid scratching cars. His dog had a big adjustment period. The link Femfa posted looks interesting.
Baillif likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

My dog is kind of sensitive to road salt and I have considered a winter pair. But he is also sensitive about having stuff put on his feet and I am not sure I am willing to do the work to get him to put them on happily.

when he sliced his Paw pad he was a really good sport about bandages and wore a pawz boot over the bandage at tracking practice and tracked fine. even let me re bandage standing on the tailgate of my truck, tied to his crate.

So far, mushers secret and a wipe from a damp towel after salt exposure has sufficed
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know about your venue. AKC is considering a revision to allow boots in tracking testo. they may have approved it. I would have appreciated it if I tracked in Florida, where a dog might get a couple sand spurs on a TD and have to stop to get it out each time because they can't walk with a sand spur in their pad
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Your dogs nails are too long! Unless he/she is spending time wearing them down on concrete or some other rough surface you should trim or dremel them once a week until they are under control.

Kim
Baillif likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Nails are too long, 100% agree. His feet are so tight that the length still doesn't touch the ground, so I got bad about working on them weekly because there was no clicking as he walked. Its not until you extend the nail and pull the fur back that you really notice how long they are. It is also difficult to trim many of his nails too much because they're already cracking. He is very reactive to any kind of painful stimulation. They were dremmeled down under sedation and will be kept shorter.

Caps aren't effective with SLO because often the nail flakes and pulls directly off the quick, so a cap isn't going to prevent that. A cap also may hinder proper trimming, and may remove more nail once they're removed or fall off on their own.

The boots I was looking at got very good reviews for staying on, they're made specifically for active hiking/running/jumping/climbing dogs and are much pricier than your typical cheap petsmart boot.
Baillif likes this.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

I personally take collagen fro hair and nails myself and it seems to have a good effect on nail condition. Wonder if that might help your dog too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page