Dealing with two sport dogs in the home and on the training field - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Dealing with two sport dogs in the home and on the training field

Hey guys and gals, so I've got a 5ish month WLGSD im training in Schutzhund with a trainer but I'm looking to add a male Dutchie to our home also for the same purpose. Family, sport, pp dog. This should happen when the GSD is about 1 years old.

I'm looking for any advice, hints, tools, tricks, strategies etc etc y'all use to effectively bond, train, and live with two working type dogs.

Any advice or personal stories are totally welcome.

Thanks

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Crate and rotate during training. Having both dogs out at the same time while working on a skill really muddies up the process. On the other hand, working with one dog outside with the other in the house, really motivates the 2nd dog to get busy after I swap them.

Also I suggest waiting until your Shepherd is pretty close to behaving the way you like. Your new dog will use your first dog as a role model.
GypsyGhost likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Hey guys and gals, so I've got a 5ish month WLGSD im training in Schutzhund with a trainer but I'm looking to add a male Dutchie to our home also for the same purpose. Family, sport, pp dog. This should happen when the GSD is about 1 years old.

I'm looking for any advice, hints, tools, tricks, strategies etc etc y'all use to effectively bond, train, and live with two working type dogs.

Any advice or personal stories are totally welcome.

Thanks
I think that unless you've got a fair amount of experience you didn't mention, training wise, your going to overwhelm yourself trying to work two young dogs. I'd wait till you've gotten where you want to with the shepherd before adding another dog.
lhczth and cliffson1 like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

I'd also recommend waiting until the shepherd is fully adult and trained- around 3 years old. It's really hard to actually and productively work two dogs at once, particularly when with the Dutchie you are really going to want to build a solid foundation those first 6-8 months or so.

It can be helpful to back tie the younger dog while you train the adult, they learn a lot that way. But you certainly are going to need to train each dog separately, meaning double the time.

Also, I'd get a male and a female. I know people have different experiences, so that can vary, but in my experience, two male shepherds is a gamble, while my females get along, or can be easily persuaded to get along if any issues arise.
cliffson1 likes this.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Also, I'd get a male and a female. I know people have different experiences, so that can vary, but in my experience, two male shepherds is a gamble, while my females get along, or can be easily persuaded to get along if any issues arise.
That's very interesting, Muskeg. I was going to say the exact opposite. I've actually never personally met someone who has two female dogs that get along well. I've seen two male dogs get along like best friends, but never two females. I guess that everything really does depend on the individual dogs!

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
I'd also recommend waiting until the shepherd is fully adult and trained- around 3 years old. It's really hard to actually and productively work two dogs at once, particularly when with the Dutchie you are really going to want to build a solid foundation those first 6-8 months or so.

It can be helpful to back tie the younger dog while you train the adult, they learn a lot that way. But you certainly are going to need to train each dog separately, meaning double the time.

Current dog is a female, that's why I want a male.

Thanks for the advice

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinoisí love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

I guess I am a lightweight, I am struggling to keep up with my two dogs. My 10year old wl GSD still feels and acts 3 although she is retired. She does not accept retirement.

She competes in rally in real life
cyber rally when we can't travel
and learning and earning trick dog titles because these other two don't satisfy her.

My male is 2, training and competing in rally and AKC tracking. Dock diving for fun, although I bet he could be competitive if I ever had time to make an effort.

He is a mellow ish white shepherd.

I have no kids at home. Most of the time I am pooped and they DONT get training every day, although they do get a walk every day.

Today, I took him to dock diving practice for an hour and a half so a fair workout swimming. We also ran errands together and he did some service dog training before diving. They aren't getting a walk today, i'm spent. very unusual. he is plaYing in the yard now. he will be fine. he can skip a walk every once in awhile.

Tomorrow I will track him because it is going to be a cooler day. A few days during the week this coming week I will be so busy that they will be kennelled or playing in the yard and a quick walk and they will have to cope.
car2ner likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Elite Member

Ah, OK. You will be fine with a male-female combo!

It's up to you how much time you have, but I like to wait three years between working dogs unless there are extenuating circumstances.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Crowned Member

I'm on the 'wait until the first one is older and more trained' wagon. At a year old, training is really just starting to get serious. Again your own experience level will have something to do with this.

I have four working/sport dogs in my house. Three females 9 1/2 years, almost 4 years, and 8 months of age and one male 3 years old. We make it work. We do crate/kennel rotations and everyone gets people, dog and freedom time. For the most part they all get along except for my old grumpy female. She only likes our pet dog. Two are handled by me and two by my wife and our pet dog handles us lol.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

could you clarify -- you said "im training in Schutzhund with a trainer but "

do you mean you are taking her to a club and you are handling her , training in the sport , OR

she is being trained by someone else , a trainer , in the sport -- there are people who buy training and titles

what ever the case I would wait - better for the dogs and you

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page