Newbie needing advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Newbie needing advice.

Hello, I've been lurking for a while and have came to the conclusion that I should see if anyone with more knowledge can help! A fair warning: lots of (newbie) questions and this could get long! I have recently gotten Mesha a few months ago and have been working with her for months before. Her previous owner got her from a breeder. She knew her basic commands, except heel and her commands were rather sloppy. Since we have been working nearly everyday her basic obedience has improved but now I want to put her In sport to give her something to do. My question is, with her being 7 would it be too late to start her? Also some of her teeth have been worn/broken could this be a problem? Should I try to get her titled in BH then go from there? If I do decide to put her in any sport I will clear it with her vet first. Should I find a club or a trainer or will either suffice? What should I expect going into this particular sport? I was also looking around on this particular forum and I saw someone suggest to the poster of similar question to try to find someone teach the poster to be a helper and I am rather interested in doing this as well(I feel like doesn't make sense, will find link if requested). If I were to try to become a helper how do I go about doing that? I'm 17, is there an age restriction? or could I have a parent of guardian sign a waiver? I would love to learn how to work and train dogs as that is what I for sure want to do as a career. Any info or tips would be gladly appreciated! I have learned a lot about Schutzhund but most definitely not enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Knighted Member

Find a club and have them evaluate the dog. If she has what it takes use her as a learning dog. Take her as far as you can. As far as helper work that would be a club issue also. Tell them that you're interested in decoy work. But be prepared for it to be a slow process. It has been explained to me that it takes about 5 years for a helper to become good. Not great just good. But if you're committed and have good work ethic then I an see it working out good for you. But find a club and mentor.
Where are you located.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sport definitely needs young people interested, and helper/decoy also is a great need for the next generation. I would look for a club, try to get a BH on Mesha and learn! Even if the teeth are worn, you can still track, do obedience, and some protection, but I would make sure the physical structure is ok(I'd be careful with jumping and make sure your dog is in good shape, not a weekend warrior)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I am located near Frankfort,Ky. I am also willing to do whatever it takes to get where I wanna go! As far as Mesha being a weekend warrior she most definitely isn't! She actually acts like a 1 yr old still but I'm also trying to get her back to being muscular, so that probably helps.

Last edited by theyote,wolfanddog; 07-18-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Hit post before I was finished.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

If you are on fb there is a good group to join. You can ask there for some good club references. I know KY has a couple groups, they may not be affiliated with USCA, but they are helpful with training and mentoring upcoming helpers/decoys.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/886447231411553/

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I just sent a request to join.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page