How often do you train your dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How often do you train your dogs?

Sport people how often do you train your dogs. I train at least once daily twice if possible. I sometimes wonder if I'm doing too much. Like maybe an every other day may be more productive. With off days being walks and play.
astrovan2487 likes this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

every day is fine. Keep it fun. And let them have time to just be dogs too

When I"m working on something new, I do notice if I give him a day off from it that he comes back stronger.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

Once the initial training--usually about a year of solid training for each I back off. By back off it doesn't mean training ends, it becomes a routine everyday thing. Sit for treats, fronts from across the yard, downs, etc are incorporated into daily life. Treats aren't used and they are expected to make the right choices and they do.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Elite Member

Depends on the stage, with my IPO puppy I train for maybe 5 minutes a few times a day. My older dogs, not in sport, I don't do much training except for making sure the recall is always sharp. It's more about quality than quantity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

I train for a few minutes every day or for an hour or more...depending on what we are working on. When I was actively training Karlo, we trained almost daily, I went to private training, or club several times a week.
Less is more with him though, so changing up the training game was key. Because IPO is 3 phases, it wasn't hard to work different things to keep him engaged. Send out, directionals, retrieves and then basic position obedience kept him from getting bored.
Tracking is my favorite phase, so we do that as much as possible.
Now with Gambit, I am not as busy training with him, and it shows in our obedience. He isn't huge in prey drive so I have to work to keep his engagement. Thank God for food drive!
Every dog is different, and each learning phase can change up the game so I don't stay to a regimented goal plan. The journey for me is what it is about, not the trials or titles. Of course we do have goals for trialing, but I am not about trophies.
I want my dog to live a long happy healthy life and stay structurally sound.
Too many seem to push dogs to achieve goals and the dog ends up with life altering changes health-wise.
Injury can occur regardless, but I look at that long term view on what my dogs limits are.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I train for a few minutes every day or for an hour or more...depending on what we are working on. When I was actively training Karlo, we trained almost daily, I went to private training, or club several times a week.
Less is more with him though, so changing up the training game was key. Because IPO is 3 phases, it wasn't hard to work different things to keep him engaged. Send out, directionals, retrieves and then basic position obedience kept him from getting bored.
Tracking is my favorite phase, so we do that as much as possible.
Now with Gambit, I am not as busy training with him, and it shows in our obedience. He isn't huge in prey drive so I have to work to keep his engagement. Thank God for food drive!
Every dog is different, and each learning phase can change up the game so I don't stay to a regimented goal plan. The journey for me is what it is about, not the trials or titles. Of course we do have goals for trialing, but I am not about trophies.
I want my dog to live a long happy healthy life and stay structurally sound.
Too many seem to push dogs to achieve goals and the dog ends up with life altering changes health-wise.
Injury can occur regardless, but I look at that long term view on what my dogs limits are.
Ugh. Tracking. Let me go on the record here--I HATE tracking. With the white hot hate of a thousand suns. I would gladly pay people to lay my tracks.

Of course, the dogs just love tracking. It's all fun and games for them.

Honestly, I'm not putting as much time into Raff's training as I should. We train in the afternoons when he doesn't see his trainer or go to the club. Very short, very active and animated sessions. He's such a quick study.
GypsyGhost likes this.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

Weekly club training days, one private weekly session and maybe one or two days of a few minutes to a half hour a week?

We are working on our IPO1 and i work a lot so it's tough. Now that trial season is here we will have to be more regimented.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
Ugh. Tracking. Let me go on the record here--I HATE tracking. With the white hot hate of a thousand suns. I would gladly pay people to lay my tracks.

Of course, the dogs just love tracking. It's all fun and games for them.

Honestly, I'm not putting as much time into Raff's training as I should. We train in the afternoons when he doesn't see his trainer or go to the club. Very short, very active and animated sessions. He's such a quick study.
Lol, I also hate tracking. It is soul crushing. The dog actually doing the track? Awesome. Laying the tracks? Ugh. Horrible.

OP, I train my dogs 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day. I try to work on different things every day, just to make sure things stay interesting for them. I try to make sure things are kept fun.
gsdluvr and zetti like this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Master Member

Training is a constant daily thing for us. I don't mean strict rigid training all day long but everything I do with my dog I try to have a purpose in mind. Sometimes that purpose can just be goofing off at the playground or playing hide and seek in the house to build a bond and have fun.
As far as the strict training goes, we track at least 3 times a week, do short obedience sessions almost daily, and go to club every Sunday and most Saturdays too. Lately I have been doing a BH routine after laying a track to age it, makes for good use of time. Other than that obedience is short sessions tied into playing fetch or tug.
gsdluvr and car2ner like this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

We train for about 30 minutes a day and immediately after training he plays two ball or does other dog stuff where he can run flat out (he loves that...).
dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page