Schutzhund Clubs - Muskegon, MI? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Schutzhund Clubs - Muskegon, MI?

We're adding a new member to our family soon - and I want to make sure that we have all the tools needed to keep our GSD happy.

I live in Muskegon and have seen another thread from back in 2011 on these forums about Muskegon clubs - but there was no info that was still relevant.

Thanks if you have any info on where to continue my search.

Vaughn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

There are no clubs in Muskegon. I would get with Josh in Grand Rapids. He is nationally known and recently moved to the area. I believe he is getting an IPO club going, but for now may be doing private training. There are a few that train in your area, but personally I would go to Josh first rather than train with the locals. He can help put the right foundation on a puppy. Training - Rustic Retreat Lodge for Dogs, LLC

Have you already chosen a breeder?
lhczth likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
There are no clubs in Muskegon. I would get with Josh in Grand Rapids. He is nationally known and recently moved to the area. I believe he is getting an IPO club going, but for now may be doing private training. There are a few that train in your area, but personally I would go to Josh first rather than train with the locals. He can help put the right foundation on a puppy.
Have you already chosen a breeder?
Nothing set in stone for a breeder - thanks for the link to Rustic Retreat - I'll check them out for sure.

Bummer there's no clubs over here - but that's life

Do you have any recommendations for breeders on the west side of the state?

Thanks again - vaughn.
Save
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

I would look at breeders that are training and trialing their dogs in the sport if that is what your goals are. Or at least breeders that are breeding for versatility. If you are on fb, this local GSD pag e has people announcing litters often, though I won't vouch for them and probably would be careful when looking at what they are breeding.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WestMichiganGSDowners/

If you are serious about getting into the sport, contact Wildhaus kennels ...they are planning a breeding due in April(if the breeding took) and I can say with confidence the goals for this breeding should have some excellent IPO prospects. Though they have a waiting list, they do want working homes for their pups and they don't do first come first serve, but the best match for the puppy and the owner.
FullForce K9 in the Kalamazoo area has a litter now,but I think the pups may all be reserved, worth checking out in case there is an availability. FB page: https://www.facebook.com/FullForceK9-274144882629199/

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I would look at breeders that are training and trialing their dogs in the sport if that is what your goals are. Or at least breeders that are breeding for versatility. If you are on fb, this local GSD pag e has people announcing litters often, though I won't vouch for them and probably would be careful when looking at what they are breeding.

If you are serious about getting into the sport, contact wildhaus ...they are planning a breeding due in April(if the breeding took) and I can say with confidence the goals for this breeding should have some excellent IPO prospects. Though they have a waiting list, they do want working homes for their pups and they don't do first come first serve, but the best match for the puppy and the owner.
FullForce K9 in the Kalamazoo area has a litter now,but I think the pups may all be reserved, worth checking out in case there is an availability.
Wildhaus looks promising but it's about a 3 hour drive. I'll have to d some reading on them to see if it doesnt ease my mind at all, but dropping a $200 non-refundable deposit on a pup that may or may not 'be the right one' is a little intimidating. You giving them some cred is great and exactly what I'm looking for though - so thank you

They have some impressive paperwork for sure.

I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can about breeders in the area - I'm definitely not going to buy off hoobly or whatever since just anyone can be considered a 'breeder' these days. I want to know I'm getting what I pay for - since they will hopefully be a part of our family for a decade or more. More importantly I want to make sure I make a responsible decision.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

traveling three hours for a good breeder is nothing! I travel 2 hours each way every week to train. lol
Since you have some time, maybe contact them and visit on a training day.
Visit Fullforce too, they train in their area often. Dogs bred from both kennels are training with the breeders so you can see first hand what they have produced.

Like I posted earlier, the breeder that is actually working their dogs in the venue you are interested in is important. The pet breeders generally do not do much to prove what they are breeding is even breed-worthy.
They can market very well, but the proof is in the pudding.

Fullforce has another upcoming breeding that looks promising as well.

If you are interested in IPO or SDA, go and watch some training so you can learn more about the dogs. Josh would be a good one to get with now, even if you don't have a dog, you can learn so much just by observing, and he is less than an hour from your town.
lhczth, mycobraracr and Mudypoz like this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-22-2017 at 10:01 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjo View Post
Wildhaus looks promising but it's about a 3 hour drive. I'll have to d some reading on them to see if it doesnt ease my mind at all, but dropping a $200 non-refundable deposit on a pup that may or may not 'be the right one' is a little intimidating. You giving them some cred is great and exactly what I'm looking for though - so thank you

They have some impressive paperwork for sure.

I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can about breeders in the area - I'm definitely not going to buy off hoobly or whatever since just anyone can be considered a 'breeder' these days. I want to know I'm getting what I pay for - since they will hopefully be a part of our family for a decade or more. More importantly I want to make sure I make a responsible decision.

I will second Wildhaus. Very knowledgeable and they stand behind their dogs. Deposits are normal. You have to be open and honest to get the best dog for you. You need to build a relationship with the breeder.
onyx'girl, Mudypoz and Femfa like this.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Knighted Member

There are two wildhaus dogs in my club. Really nice dogs. From what I have seen and the people I have personally spoken to. I would not hesitate to purchase a pup from them.
onyx'girl and mycobraracr like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

You have two active threads on breeders and they are a bit confusing. Might help to clarify your expectations for the pup.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...endations.html

Last edited by Nigel; 02-23-2017 at 12:25 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
You have two active threads on breeders and they are a bit confusing. Might help to clarify your expectations for the pup.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...endations.html
Not the fault of Vaughn, I took the thread off the topic when I asked about the puppy he was getting. Starting a thread for breeders in the state was a good idea. And he started it after the post by cdwoodcox.
Nigel likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page