Insurance/liability issues when your dog has IPO training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Insurance/liability issues when your dog has IPO training?

I was just curious if anyone has ever ran into problems with homeowners insurance covering you if you have a dog trained in protection sports. Most insurance companies won't cover bites from a dog trained in "guard work". Could this carry over to IPO dogs? I realize there is always the "how would the company know?" answer, but they do have ways of finding things like that out. Maybe I'm paranoid and it's a non-issue?

Melissa

Iris vom Oldenburg -- 12/26/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Elite Member

My insurance (AMICA) doesn't care about dogs/breeds etc. I recently talked with them, they asked if I had a dog, I said yes, and that was the end of it. IPO is a sport. I would let them know in writing, and let them decide. They likely would not bother checking into it. This way you are covered. Or switch to AMICA.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Knighted Member

The IPO dogs I have met are a lot more trustworthy or not as prone to attack than the dog on the corner that gets no training. I would think it would be a non issue. Unless the dog is trained in actual personal protection. Which is different than IPO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

I have not encountered my residential insurance to even ask if we have dogs, let alone the breed. Not to mention what we train in. If you are offering all that information to get home owners insurance, I would switch companies.
FWIW, IPO is all about obedience, and control. Controlled aggression when doing protection. It is not having a protection trained dog, but sport with sleeve bites in a controlled situation.
Guard work could also pertain to herding/boundary work?
I see more liability in a dog with no training than one that is actually trained for certain tasks.
A dog that bites someone is going to get a policy cancelled regardless. Not many insurance companies will keep a client that has a dog with bite history(or if they do the premiums are going to be outrageous.)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I have not encountered my residential insurance to even ask if we have dogs, let alone the breed. Not to mention what we train in. If you are offering all that information to get home owners insurance, I would switch companies.
FWIW, IPO is all about obedience, and control. Controlled aggression when doing protection. It is not having a protection trained dog, but sport with sleeve bites in a controlled situation.
Guard work could also pertain to herding/boundary work?
I see more liability in a dog with no training than one that is actually trained for certain tasks.
A dog that bites someone is going to get a policy cancelled regardless. Not many insurance companies will keep a client that has a dog with bite history(or if they do the premiums are going to be outrageous.)
Liberty Mutual asked and what breed. The requested a letter from the vet saying our last one was not aggressive.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM

I had thought to look into this because a lot of people have felt the need to tell me that my homeowner's can cancel based on breed or bite history. Bite history, maybe. I would seriously start shopping other companies if my current homeowner's ins company told me they could no longer carry us just because we have a GSD.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:03 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I have USAA. They asked if I had dogs and then specifically asked if she had ever bitten. My response was "not without me telling her" poor kid on the other end had to get his manager. I explained the situation. They noted it but said that was fine as a controlled sport.

I was honest because gosh forbid my dog ever did actually bite someone and my insurance found out I lied about her training. I could be denied and lose my insurance.
Honeybee1999 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

[QUOTE=gsdsar;8346689]I have USAA. They asked if I had dogs and then specifically asked if she had ever bitten. My response was "not without me telling her" poor kid on the other end had to get his manager. I explained the situation. They noted it but said that was fine as a controlled sport.

I was honest because gosh forbid my dog ever did actually bite someone and my insurance found out I lied about her training. I could be denied and lose my insurance.[/QUOTE]

You'd probably lose it anyway...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

[QUOTE=onyx'girl;8346809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I have USAA. They asked if I had dogs and then specifically asked if she had ever bitten. My response was "not without me telling her" poor kid on the other end had to get his manager. I explained the situation. They noted it but said that was fine as a controlled sport.

I was honest because gosh forbid my dog ever did actually bite someone and my insurance found out I lied about her training. I could be denied and lose my insurance.[/QUOTE]

You'd probably lose it anyway...

Probably yes. I would lose it, but AFTER they paid it. They could refuse to pay if I didn't disclose the ".bite" history.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post

I was honest because gosh forbid my dog ever did actually bite someone and my insurance found out I lied about her training. I could be denied and lose my insurance.
Great information. I have USAA also. I haven't ventured into IPO training but I am considering it. I wonder if we ever do get into protection training should I call up my insurance company and tell them?

Melissa

Iris vom Oldenburg -- 12/26/05

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page