4Likes
  • 1 Post By cdwoodcox
  • 2 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yay or Nay? IPO Puppy Playing With Older Dog

I'm of two minds on this myself. Raff is twelve weeks now and doing very well in his IPO training. We also have our adopted eight year old SL girl, Lexi. She pretends to be dog aggressive. She barks and lunges at other dogs from a distance, but she's full of hot air.

Thus far, we've kept them separated and they were only talking through their crates. Not a single sign of aggression from Lexi, only mild interest. Of course, the puppy is interested in her.

I decided yesterday that they needed to meet before Raff's puppy license expired, in case an emergency came up and they had to be together. It was a rousing success. The instantly started playing. No sniffing, no posturing, just wild play. It was really nice to see my eight year old playing like that. She's a bit rough, but Raff seemed to love it that way. It was a Herculean effort to get Raff away from Lexi.

The question: should Raff be able to play with Lexi on a regular basis? I know all the traditional arguments against it, drive through confinement, needs to look to only me for fun, etc. I'm talking about short supervised play sessions, not running together all day.

Thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Knighted Member

My dogs are together a lot. their crates are right next to each other.sure I will take them out for individual play. but a lot of times when we go out to play its usually all of us. we train individually and together. All of my dogs have bonded with me first and foremost over each other. But, I train them a lot so I can see how someone that does little to no training would have trouble with the dogs preferring each other over them. as far as drive. I don't see any issue with that. Sure they will go out and burn off steam. But, if I take one of them out immediately after with their tug or ball for Rosko they are just as crazy as ever. I think if a dog playing with another dog kills its drive. The drive was probably not what it should anyway. I say let them play.
GSD2LADY likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Short supervised play sessions should be fine. I do not put my pups with an older dog unsupervised until they are several months old. I do short sessions and definitely supervise them. I let my dogs together when the puppy is around 7 - 8 months old. That is me and just what I do.

I'm glad they are getting along, that is awesome.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Short supervised play sessions should be fine. I do not put my pups with an older dog unsupervised until they are several months old. I do short sessions and definitely supervise them. I let my dogs together when the puppy is around 7 - 8 months old. That is me and just what I do.

I'm glad they are getting along, that is awesome.
Yes, I was thrilled. They skipped right over the pleasantries and got straight to playing.

That's what I'm thinking--15 minutes or so of chasing and wrestling in the back with me there, then back to being separated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
My dogs are together a lot. their crates are right next to each other.sure I will take them out for individual play. but a lot of times when we go out to play its usually all of us. we train individually and together. All of my dogs have bonded with me first and foremost over each other. But, I train them a lot so I can see how someone that does little to no training would have trouble with the dogs preferring each other over them. as far as drive. I don't see any issue with that. Sure they will go out and burn off steam. But, if I take one of them out immediately after with their tug or ball for Rosko they are just as crazy as ever. I think if a dog playing with another dog kills its drive. The drive was probably not what it should anyway. I say let them play.
My bias is similar. Either the drive is there or it's not. Though with puppies, they can be too zonked to show much if they are overtired they just bite anything.

I'm thinking short sessions once a day, supervised is probably right for Raff.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

My puppy is outside running around with a couple of her littermates, her mom and her grandma and at other times runs around with her cousin. Unless the adult is rough it won't hurt or ruin a pup with the right stuff to do IPO. If it did I would have never titled a single dog.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:22 PM

just use sense not to let the adult dog hurt him because of the size difference. Once he is grown a bit they can play more, unless the older dog gets annoyed with super energetic puppy business.

On days we go to the club, I don't let my dogs romp around the yard. They get tired. Instead I let them get a bit bored those days until it is their turn to work.
lhczth likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page