A Frame training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

A Frame training

I am beginning to train on the Aframe and would very much appreciate some advice on not allowing my dog to spring off from the very top. At the moment, I am luring with the ball to get her to come farther down. Just trying to establish a habit or muscle memory. We are not using trial height yet. TIA😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

PMing you pictures. They are on facebook
gsdluvr likes this.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Great!! Thank you! When this hoop idea was explained to me, they only used one at the top area. The dog had practiced for quite a while on it. When trial day came, she sprung right off the top!! LOL! All that for ?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

I start it by laying the A-frame flatter, so instead of it being 6ft tall, It's maybe 5ft tall. I will place treats on the back side rungs of the A-frame. I'll put my dog in a sit at the base, stand next to it, and tell my dog to jump. Once at the top I slow the dog down and lead it to the treats, making it go slow and eat every treat off the rungs down to the ground. I will repeat this process, until the dog starts to slow itself down with out my help. Then I will switch to a ball and the bottom. If all is going well, I'll increase the height back up. This is basically how I do it in a nutshell.
gsdluvr likes this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I actually used the hoops to fix a dog that liked to launch off the top, though my hoop was at the very bottom so she had to go down the wall to go under it. I got the idea from agility people. The hoop is not on the wall, but actually right at the base.
Now I lower the wall like mycobraracr except I just lure them up, over, and down with food. I slowly raise the wall over time and don't add in the dumbbell until they have the muscle memory well seated in their minds. I am also unusual in that I NEVER use a ball when teaching the wall or the jump. I want thinking drive and have found that, with my dogs, balls/toys remove thought.
gsdluvr likes this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:16 AM

If you use the hoops, they must be there all the time except on trial day. I only had to use one for Vala because it was only on the way out to the dumbbell that she was an idiot. It held up through 4 more titles so I know they work.
Jax08 and gsdluvr like this.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

@Jax08, @mycobraracr, @lhczth, Many thanks! I was on the right track!
lhczth, Jax08 and mycobraracr like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

My dog used to jump off the top of the A-Frame too, but the hoop thing fixed it.

Had to train him to go under the hoops though - Mr. Crazy was jumping over the bottom ones coming and going! He took to going under them quite well after some help - I guess he figured out it was much easier that way.
gsdluvr likes this.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:26 PM

If you use the hoops like I did, you have to lower the wall and show the dog it needs to go through them, then slowly raise the wall so they get programmed to follow the rules (going through the hoop).
gsdluvr likes this.

Lisa Clark

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Lisa, NOW of course, I see that is the right way to do it LOL. Never did any of us think that a dog would try to jump the darn things!
lhczth likes this.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page